[Rushtalk] Wasted Food............

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Mon May 26 17:27:51 MDT 2014

>Once again, people are getting fed up with a
>government so into dictatorial control, they
>forget about who they are paid TO SERVE!
><http://triblive.com/opinion/featuredcommentary/6147206-74/obama-michelle-district>Fed
>up with school lunches
>
>http://triblive.com/opinion/featuredcommentary/6147206-74/obama-michelle-district#axzz32pkImtfo

<http://triblive.com/Home/>
TribLIVE

| Opinion/The Review

Western Pennsylvania's top news and sports source

  <http://fusion.google.com/add?feedurl=http://feeds.feedburner.com/tribunereviewopinion>
[]
 <http://add.my.yahoo.com/rss?url=http://feeds.feedburner.com/tribunereviewopinion>
[]
 <http://feeds.feedburner.com/tribunereviewopinion>
Opinion RSS feed
 <https://twitter.com/triblive>
TweetMe
<https://twitter.com/triblive> <http://www.facebook.com/triblive>
FaceMe
<http://www.facebook.com/triblive>
<http://triblive.com/home/>Home
<http://triblive.com/news/>News
<http://triblive.com/investigative/>Investigative
<http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/>Neighborhoods
<http://triblive.com/state/>State
<http://triblive.com/politics/>Politics
<http://triblive.com/usworld/>U.S./World
<http://triblive.com/sports/>Sports
<http://triblive.com/opinion/>Opinion/The Review
<http://triblive.com/business/>Business
<http://triblive.com/aande/>A&E
<http://triblive.com/lifestyles/>Lifestyles Obituaries
<http://triblive.com/opinion/columnists/>Columnists
<http://triblive.com/opinion/editorials/>Editorials
<http://triblive.com/opinion/cartoons/>Cartoons
<http://triblive.com/opinion/pagebooks/>Page of
Books
<http://triblive.com/opinion/letters/>Letters
<http://triblive.com/opinion/sendaletter/>Send a Letter
<http://triblive.com/opinion/featuredcommentary/6147206-74/obama-michelle-district?printerfriendly=true>
[]

Larger text
  Larger text
Smaller text
 Smaller text | <http://photos.triblive.com/mycapture/>Order Photo Reprints

Fed up with school lunches

About The Tribune-Review
The Tribune-Review can be reached
<mailto:tribcity at tribweb.com?subject=Fed%20up%20with%20school%20lunches%20story%20on%20TribLIVE.com>via
e-mail or at 412-321-6460.
<http://triblive.com/home/contactus/>Contact Us |
<http://triblive.com/home/video/>Video |
<http://photos.triblive.com/mycapture/>Photo Reprints

Daily Photo Galleries

<http://triblive.com/opinion/featuredcommentary/6147206-74/obama-michelle-district#>
[]

<http://triblive.com/opinion/featuredcommentary/6147206-74/obama-michelle-district#>Monday
- May 26, 2014

By Michelle Malkin

Published: Sunday, May 25, 2014, 9:00 p.m.
Updated 22 hours ago

The nation's school lunch lady, Michelle Obama,
is mad. With her federal nutrition program under
fire across the country and now on Capitol Hill,
Mrs. Obama put out a “forceful” call to arms last
week to “health activists,” according to The Washington Post.

The East Wing and its sycophants zealously oppose
any effort to alter, delay or waive top-down school meal rules.

Progressives blame kid-hating Republicans and
greedy businesses for the revolt against Mrs.
Obama's failed policies. But the truth is right
around the corner in your students' cafeterias.
Districts are losing money. Discarded food is
piling high. Kids are going off-campus to fill
their tummies or just going hungry.

According to the School Nutrition Association,
almost half of school meal programs reported
declines in revenue in the 2012-13 school year,
and 90 percent said food costs were up. Look no
further than school districts in Los Angeles and Chicago.

As I noted in 2011, the L.A. Unified School
District pronounced the first lady's federally
subsidized initiative a “flop” and a “disaster.”
Principals reported “massive waste, with unopened
milk cartons and uneaten entrees being thrown away.”

The problem has only worsened. The Los Angeles
Times reported last month that the city's
students throw out “at least $100,000 worth of
food a day ­ and probably far more,” which “amounts to $18 million a year.”

Draconian federal rules dictate calorie counts,
whole-grain requirements, the number of items
that children must put on their trays and even
the color of the fruits and vegetables they must
choose. Asked for a solution, LAUSD Food Service
Director David Binkle told the Times bluntly: “We
can stop forcing children to take food they don't
like and throw in the garbage.”

Or you can do what Arlington Heights District 214
in Michelle Obama's home state of Illinois just
did: Vote yourselves out of the unsavory
one-size-fits-all mandate. Last week, the state's
second-largest school district decided to quit
the national school lunch program. The district
will deliberately forgo $900,000 in federal aid
and instead rely on its own nutritionist to
devise healthful choices that students actually want.

Mrs. Obama's advocates already have taken to
social media to complain about Big Business
special interests. But let's remember: Mrs. Obama
has been working the food circuit since 2005,
when the wife of newly elected Sen. Barack Obama
was named to the corporate board of directors of
Wal-Mart processed foods supplier TreeHouse Foods
Inc. ­ collecting $45,000 in 2005, $51,200 in
2006 and 7,500 TreeHouse stock options worth more than $72,000 for each year.

Mrs. Obama's allies also have accused opponents
of wanting to repeal “science-based” standards.
But the first lady herself was caught spreading
false claims that her program was responsible for
reducing childhood obesity when the decline began a decade ago.

Waste, failure, lies and special interest ties.
If federal food policy were really about the
children, the East Wing would be embracing
change. But this is not about protecting the
kids. It's about protecting Michelle Obama. Her
thin-skinned response to criticism is telling:
Hell hath no fury like a Nanny State control freak scorned.

Michelle Malkin is the author of “Culture of
Corruption: Obama and his Team of Tax Cheats,
Crooks and Cronies” (Regnery 2009).