[Rushtalk] [Fwd: [2ampd] After Numerous Attempts, Dr. Ben Carson Still Can't Figure out "Shall Not Be Infringed"]

Carl William Spitzer IV cwsiv at copper.net
Tue May 27 20:41:31 MDT 2014

After Numerous Attempts, Dr. Ben Carson Still

Can't Figure out "Shall Not Be Infringed"

By Kurt Hofmann

JPFO writer contributor, © 2014.

Dr. Ben Carson

Ostensibly "conservative" Republican and potential presidential
candidate Dr. Ben Carson has talked about gun politics before, and those
utterances have so far tended not to have served him well. In March of
2013, for example, Carson made the . . . remarkable (and that's not a
polite remark) assertion on Glenn Beck's radio program that one's right
to own a semi-automatic firearm should be contingent on where one lives:

But when asked whether people should be allowed to own "semi-automatic
weapons," the doctor replied: "It depends on where you live."

"I think if you live in the midst of a lot of people, and I"m afraid
that that semi-automatic weapon is going to fall into the hands of a
crazy person, I would rather you not have it," Carson elaborated.

However, if you live "out in the country somewhere by yourself" and want
to own a semi-automatic weapon, he added, "I"ve no problem with that."

Oh, good. He "[has] no problem with" the ownership of semi-automatic
firearms--by hermits. How generous of him.

For a while after that, he seems to have kept quiet on guns (probably a
good idea). Then, last December, Carson wrote an op-ed in the Washington
Times, asking, "Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?" At
that time, I noted that just with the title, Carson has already missed
the mark.

While saying that the Founding Fathers "gave" us the Second Amendment is
not in itself problematical, people who word it that way have a tendency
to claim that the Second Amendment in turn "gives" us the right to keep
and bear arms. The illustration accompanying Carson's article reinforces
that impression, by portraying the Constitution as a "license to
operate" firearms.

In the Supreme Court's Cruikshank decision in 1876, it was established
that the Second Amendment codifies a pre-existing, natural right, that
is not "in any manner dependent upon [the Second Amendment] for its
existence." This has been reaffirmed in both the Heller and McDonald
rulings.

More troubling is Carson's apparent willingness to compromise on our
fundamental human rights:

On the other side of the argument, there are reasonable people who look
at the tens of thousands of people who are killed each year in this
country by guns, and they do not feel that we are doing enough to stop
the carnage.

Many of them want to see significant restrictions on the distribution of
firearms in our nation, and others want to restrict types and quantities
of ammunition. Some would be happy just to make sure that all guns and
gun owners are registered, and most reasonable people certainly are not
in favor of allowing criminals and mentally unstable individuals to
purchase firearms.

What does he mean by "just to make sure that all guns and gun owners are
registered"? Does he think that's a small concession, rather than an
abject surrender, and an invitation to confiscate all privately owned
firearms?

Well, he has recently talked about guns again, and this time, he is
coming out firmly against registration. Speaking at the New York
Meeting, Carson explained that he now opposes registration, because, as
Breitbartputs it, "America's massive debt could transform the nation
into a third-world country in which martial law may be imposed":

Carson, the retired neurosurgeon who has been getting buzz in
conservative circles, said that he changed his mind and was against gun
registration because of the "sinister internal forces" that could
surface in that scenario. He said he "used to think they needed to be
registered, but if you register them they just come and find you and
take your guns."

"If we were only concerned about external forces, then we would be
okay," he said. "But there are some pretty sinister internal forces."

[ . . . ]

"We have a national debt that is so high, and it's being raised even
higher," he said. "Now, the only reason we can do that is because we are
the reserve currency for the world. What if that changes?"

In other words, he appears to be arguing that the problem with
registration is that America's exploding debt crisis could trigger a
collapse and ensuing tyranny. Not an implausible scenario, but is that
the only reason to fight registration mandates to our last breath? If
the debt situation were less dire, would he still be in favor of
registration?

Justice Stevens

Perhaps he is advocating his own Justice Stevensesque edit to the Second
Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of
a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be
infringed, except by a federal government that maintains a sound fiscal
policy."

Carson's stance on that which shall not be infringed has "improved" over
the course of about a year from utterly unacceptable, to . . . well,
very slightly less utterly unacceptable. He might want to consider
picking up the pace. Dramatically.

Was this information valuable to you? If so, please consider donating,
becoming a member orrenewing your membership, or buying a DVD, book,
tee-shirt, or other gear at our JPFO store.

A former paratrooper, Kurt Hofmann was paralyzed in a car accident in
2002. The helplessness inherent to confinement to a wheelchair prompted
him to explore armed self-defense, only to discover that Illinois denies
that right, inspiring him to become active in gun rights advocacy. He
also writes the St. Louis Gun Rights Examiner column.

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd04/cant-figure-shall-not-be-infringed.htm