[Rushtalk] Student Walkout in Colorado

Richard Whitenight rwhitenight2004 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 18:36:11 MDT 2014

(NEWSER) – High school students in a big Colorado district walked out for
the third straight day today to protest proposed changes to their history
curriculum. Today's protests, the largest yet, mean that about half of all
high school students in Jefferson County have participated this week,
reports the Denver Post
<http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26596010/jeffco-student-protests-continue-wednesday-at-bear-creek>.
The protests, which follow a teacher "sick-out" last week, are in response
to proposed curriculum changes by the conservative-led school board,
reports the Christian Science Monitor
<http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2014/0924/Who-decides-what-s-patriotic-Colorado-students-walk-out-over-history-plan>.
Critics say the board wants to sanitize American history by making sure
that materials "promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of
the free-market system, respect for authority, and respect for individual
rights." Nor should they "encourage or condone civil disorder, social
strife, or disregard of the law."
Amid the controversy, the board has postponed discussion of the curriculum
review until mid-October. The dispute echoes similar battles over what
schools should be teaching kids in Texas and South Carolina, notes the AP
<http://www.newser.com/article/2c1f44f8ab7149beae033d09e9edcc73/hundreds-of-denver-area-students-walk-out-of-class-to-protest-conservative-us-history-proposal.html>.
"We shouldn't be encouraging our kids to think that America is a bad
place," school board member Julie Williams has said of her proposal in the
suburban Denver district. The controversy has political implications as
well, with the Monitor noting that Jefferson County is a "swing district in
a swing state." As for the sight of hundreds of students walking out of
school en masse, the Post knows what you're thinking: "I'm not going to
lie, there are kids here [just skipping class]," one student organizer
tells the newspaper. "But the majority of us are out here for the right
reasons."

--
Regards,
Richard Whitenight

Twitter:  @rwhitenight0648

My e-mail is being maintained by the NSA, CIA, FBI, and the Department of
Homeland Security.  You can't get better secure e-mail than that.