[Rushtalk] Orwellian: California Bars Judges From Joining Boy Scouts

Carl Spitzer lynux at keepandbeararms.com
Mon Apr 13 19:22:52 MDT 2015

Orwellian: California Bars Judges From Joining Boy Scouts

Wednesday, 18 Mar 2015 06:43 PM

By John Blosser

  If you're one of the 2,200 judges in California, you'll soon be
prohibited from belonging to the Boy Scouts.

Effective on Jan. 21, 2016, judges will be barred by the state from
being members of the Boy Scouts because the organization, while allowing
gays to be Boy Scouts, still bans openly gay scout leaders, the
Christian Post reports.

Cathal Conneely, spokesman for the Judicial Council of California, told
the Christian Post that the California Supreme Court decision removes an
exemption in the California Code of Judicial Ethics allowing membership
in youth organizations, which brings the state into line with
recommendations of the American Bar Association's Model Code of Judicial
Conduct and 21 other states with "sexual orientation as a protected
class."

Richard D. Fybel, chairman of the state's Supreme Court Advisory
Committee on the Code of Judicial Ethics, said, "The only remaining
exception to the general rule is membership in a religious organization.
One other exception, belonging to a military organization, was
eliminated as well, because the U.S. armed forces no longer restrict
military service based on sexual orientation."

The ruling has met with opposition from some judges, such as San Diego
Judge Julia Kelety, who told National Public Radio, "The issue is
whether individual judges can choose in their private lives to be
involved in an organization that has tremendous qualities and provides
tremendous support for young people.

"I don't think that a person appearing in my court would think that I'm
biased or unfair simply because I help my sons out in their Boy Scout
troop," Kelety said.

By a vote of 61-39, the Boy Scouts last year voted to allow gay Scouts
in the organization, but still refused to allow gay troop leaders.

On the day of the vote, John Stemberger, an Eagle Scout, told NPR, "We
recognize that on this day, the most influential youth program in
America has turned a very tragic corner. The vote today to allow open
and avowed homosexuality in the Boy Scouts will completely transform it
into an unprincipled and risky proposition for parents."

Stemberger is a founder of OnMyHonor.net, an alternative scouting group
that became part of Trail Life USA, which states on its website, "The
basis for the program’s ethical and moral standards is found in the
Bible. In terms of sexual identification and behavior, we affirm that
any sexual activity outside the context of the covenant of marriage
between one man and one woman is sinful before God and therefore
inconsistent with the values and principles of the program."

Robert Glusman, former president of the California Judges Association,
told the Christian Post, "Would a judge be able to join an organization
where black men could not be part of the organization? I don't think
that would be as close a question. Here, we're dealing with gay men or
LGBT. So, we put it in a slightly different framework, but there is
something that rankles many of the judges about that."