[Rushtalk] U.S. Air Force's most sophisticated stealth jet is beaten in dogfight by plane from 1970s... despite being the most expensive weapon in history

Tom Matiska tom.matiska at att.net
Sat Aug 1 20:21:51 MDT 2015

True Steve, but I also remember my early F4 days when my old Colonels lamented how the AF had shrunk to a few thousand fighters. They saw 10,000+ 1950's vintage fighters  replaced by a few thousand multimillion dollar fighters, then by smaller numbers of fighters costing tens of millions..   Most of the recent F15 and F16 production has been export models.  Our inventory consists of hundreds of decades old models that can't wait for the F35 to mature.   There is no chance we will be able to afford the necessary number of these  new aircraft. The quantity vs quality argument has reached a break point.  Tom