[Rushtalk] Donald Trump defends Muslim ban: ‘We’re at war’

Carl Spitzer lynux at keepandbeararms.com
Thu Dec 31 09:01:08 MST 2015

Donald Trump defends Muslim ban: ‘We’re at war’

Dylan Stableford
Senior editor
December 8, 2015
After sparking perhaps the biggest controversy in a presidential
campaign filled with them, a defiant Donald Trump is defending his
proposal to ban Muslims from entering the United States.

“Something has to be done,” Trump said on ABC’s “Good Morning America,”
one of several phone interviews the Republican frontrunner participated
in Tuesday morning. “What I’m doing is calling very simply for Muslims
entering the United States until our country’s representatives can
figure out what is going on.”

Trump’s plan, which was released Tuesday, calls for a “total and
complete shutdown" of all Muslims entering the country in response to
the recent terror attacks in San Bernardino, Calif., and Paris.

His campaign initially indicated the ban would include Muslim-Americans
traveling overseas. But Trump said Tuesday there would be exceptions.

“If a person is a Muslim, goes overseas and comes back, they can come
back,“ Trump said. "They’re a citizen. That’s different.”

Trump at a rally in Mt. Pleasant, S.C., Monday. (Photo: Mic Smith/AP)

Trump compared the ban to the internment of Japanese Americans under
President Franklin Roosevelt during World War II, a move he recently
said he isn’t sure he would’ve supported or opposed.

“This is a president [Roosevelt] highly respected by all, he did the
same thing,” Trump said.

"This is outrageous from someone who wants to assume the highest
office,” Nihad Awad, executive director of the Council on
American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), said at a news conference Monday.
"Donald Trump sounds more like the leader of a lynch mob than a great
nation like ours.”

Other critics, like the Philadelphia Daily News, compared Trump’s plan
to Adolf Hitler’s imprisonment of Jews during the Holocaust.

“You’re being increasingly compared to Hitler,” ABC’s George
Stephanopoulos told Trump. “Does that give you any pause at all?”

“No,” Trump said. “Because what I’m doing is no different than what FDR
[did].”

“We’re at war,“ Trump said on CNN’s "New Day.” “Get it through your
head.”

On MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Trump got into a heated exchange with Joe
Scarborough, who threatened to go to a commercial as Trump refused to
directly answer whether the ban  would prevent Muslims around the world
from helping the U.S. fight the war on terror.