[Rushtalk] Gary Bauer..........

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 12 23:55:58 MST 2015

Slavery, Jim Crow, and Christianity

2:52 PM, Feb 12, 2015 • By
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/author/gary-bauer>GARY BAUER
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/rss/gary%20bauer/rss.xml>
[]

Send to Kindle
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/slavery-jim-crow-and-christianity_849450.html?nopager=1>Single
Page
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/blogs/slavery-jim-crow-and-christianity_849450.html>Print
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/slavery-jim-crow-and-christianity_849450.html#>Larger
Text
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/slavery-jim-crow-and-christianity_849450.html#>Smaller
Text
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/slavery-jim-crow-and-christianity_849450.html#>Alerts

President Obama has received a lot of
well-deserved criticism for his recent remarks at
the National Prayer Breakfast. After condemning
terrorists who “professed to stand up for Islam,”
he told the largely Christian audience:

“Lest we get on our high horse and think this is
unique to some other place, remember that during
the Crusades and the Inquisition, people
committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ.
In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too
often was justified in the name of Christ.
 So
this is not unique to one group or one religion.
There is a tendency in us, a sinful tendency that
can pervert and distort our faith.”

Obama’s comments were patronizing and somewhat
beside the point given that almost all of today’s
religious violence is committed by radical
Muslims and almost none of it by devout Christians.

His remarks about slavery and Jim Crow also left
out an important fact. While many Americans did
attempt to use Christianity to justify slavery
and Jim Crow, true Christian teachings played an
important role­and I would argue an essential
role­in eradicating those two scourges.

Christianity was the driving force behind
abolition. Many American abolitionists were
inspired by the anti-slavery movement in Great
Britain, which outlawed slavery thirty-one years before the United States.

Nobody played a bigger role in that movement than
William Wilberforce. Wilberforce was a
Conservative Party minister of parliament who for
decades was a lonely voice for abolition. He was
also an evangelical Christian who drew strength from his faith.

At a time when many argued that slavery was the
will of God, Wilberforce believed he had been
called upon by God to help end slavery.