[Rushtalk] Texas Town Experiences 61% Drop in Crime After Firing Their Police Department

Carl Spitzer lynux at keepandbeararms.com
Tue Mar 3 07:32:53 MST 2015

Texas Town Experiences 61% Drop in Crime After Firing Their Police
Department
Published: March 2, 2015

Source: Matt Agorist

town-fires-police-department-crime-drops

Sharpstown, TX —

 Sharpstown is a Texas community, located just southwest of Houston, and
the way they maintain security in this community has gotten our
attention.

In 2012, they fired their cops.

The Sharpstown Civic Association then hired S.E.A.L. Security Solutions,
a private firm, to patrol their streets.

The statist fearmongers will have you believe that “privatizing”
anything would result in mass chaos and a Mad Max scenarios of warlords
and rampant crime. But they are wrong.

“Since we’ve been in there, an independent crime study that they’ve had
done [indicates] we’ve reduced the crime by 61%” in just 20 months, says
James Alexander, Director of Operations for SEAL.

Government police, despite not acting like it, are still part of the
government.  This means that any progressive change for the better takes
ten times longer than it would in the private sector; if it happens at
all. Government police are not driven by efficiency and threats from
liability, as neither one of these things are needed when you have a tax
farm to rob when things get tight.

Contrary to the government apparatus, private police, must be efficient
as well as safe, for one small mistake or claim could end their entire
operation. If an inefficiency is spotted within the system, changes must
be implemented swiftly to avoid the loss of revenue.

The reason for the success rate of SEAL Security is that they can see a
problem and quickly adapt versus trying to spin the rusty cogs of the
bureaucratic process. And that is exactly what SEAL did in Sharpstown.

Alexander cites the continuous patrol of SEAL’s officers in their
assigned neighborhoods as opposed to the strategy of intermittent
presence that the constable embraced. “On a constable patrol contract,
it’s either a 70/30 or an 80/20. Meaning they say they patrol your
community 70 percent of the time, [while] 30 percent of the time they
use for running calls out of your area or writing reports.”

He continues, “The second thing that drastically reduces the crime is
that we do directed patrols, meaning we don’t just put an officer out
there and say  ‘here, go patrol.’ We look at recent crime stats, and we
work off of those crime stats. So if we have hotspots in those areas say
for that month, we focus and concentrate our efforts around those
hotspots.”

Another aspect, and possibly the most important, that sets privatized
police apart from agents of the state, is that they have a negative
incentive to initiate force. Force and violence are vastly more
expensive than today’s police lead us to believe.

Causing injury or death, or wrongfully depriving someone of their rights
is very expensive if these costs are realized for the ones who cause
them. The state does not care, however. They can and will defer their
liability to the tax farm.

The act of deferment of liability is a function solely reserved for the
state, and it creates an incentive to act in an unethical manner. In the
case of SEAL Security, each of their officers, as well as their entire
operation, can be held liable, both criminally and financially. This is
something about which the state knows nothing.

As guns.com points out, over 70 communities in Harris County and most of
the major management districts have contracted with SEAL. They’re less
expensive, better at crime prevention, they do not target citizens for
revenue, and, best of all, each officer is personally accountable for
his or her actions.

It’s time Americans start seriously considering this option.

Law enforcement is a product that we are forced to buy. When any product
is not subject to the forces of consumer demand, there is no way of
changing it. It is time we applied the fundamental lesson of competition
to our supposed protectors.