[Rushtalk] Police kill 2 men who opened fire outside Muhammad art show in Garland

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at verizon.net
Tue May 26 16:24:55 MDT 2015

Ya think?

From: rushtalk-bounces at csdco.com [mailto:rushtalk-bounces at csdco.com] On Behalf Of Richard Whitenight
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2015 5:59 PM
To: Rushtalk Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Rushtalk] Police kill 2 men who opened fire outside Muhammad art show in Garland

I think this is a tad dated :-)

On Monday, May 25, 2015, Carl Spitzer <lynux at keepandbeararms.com> wrote:

Police kill 2 men who opened fire outside Muhammad art show in Garland

  <http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20150503-aptopix_prophet_cartoon_contest_shooting_43696895.jpg.ece/BINARY/w940/APTOPIX_PROPHET_CARTOON_CONTEST_SHOOTING_43696895.JPG>

1/4 Nomaan Merchant/The Associated Press

Garland officers kept attendees inside the Curtis Culwell Center after the shooting.

By TRISTAN HALLMAN and RAY LESZCYNSKI thallman at dallasnews.com, rleszcynski at dallasnews.com <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','thallman at dallasnews.com,+rleszcynski at dallasnews.com');>

Staff Writers

Published: 03 May 2015 07:15 PM Updated: 03 May 2015 11:45 PM

*	  <http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20150503-joiner.jpg.ece/ALTERNATES/w130h200/joiner.jpg>

Bruce Joiner, a Garland ISD security officer, was treated at a local hospital and released.

Two men who opened fire outside a contest for cartoons depicting the Muslim prophet Muhammad were killed by police Sunday at a Garland ISD events center.

The controversial event at the Curtis Culwell Center was wrapping up shortly before 7 p.m. when the two gunmen pulled up in a car and shot an unarmed Garland ISD security officer.

Garland police returned fire and killed the two gunmen before anyone else was hurt.

The security officer, Bruce Joiner, was released from a hospital after he was reportedly treated for a leg wound.

The bodies of the gunmen remained on the street outside the Culwell Center hours after they were shot, and their identities had not been released late Sunday.

A bomb squad was investigating whether explosives might be in their car.

Police locked down the events facility to protect people inside. About 200 tickets for the event had been sold for the contest, which drew about 300 entries. After people were evacuated from the event, they were driven to a secure location to await questioning by the FBI.

  <http://cdn.thinglink.me/api/image/651607948564365312/1024/10/scaletowidth>
EditTouchShare
Johnny Roby of Oklahoma City said he was outside the Culwell Center when he heard about 20 shots that sounded as though they came from a passing car. He said he then heard two more shots before police rushed him back into the building.

The New York-based American Freedom Defense Initiative had organized the event to award a cash prize for the best cartoon depicting Muhammad. Caricatures of the Islamic prophet are considered offensive by many Muslims, but the show’s organizers said they were exercising their freedom of expression.

Nathan Bassett and Stephen Perkins had been inside the center when the gunshots erupted and were walking to their cars when they saw officers drawing weapons.

“We were really confused,” Bassett said. “There was a lot of confusion, a lot of people and a lot of officers.”

Nearby businesses, including a Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club and Academy, were evacuated. Police had said before the event that they didn’t see a need to warn area businesses of any chance of violence.

Before the shooting, the scene was unremarkable outside the Culwell Center, except for the thick security that included Garland police, school district security and private guards.

“We were expecting protests outside the building,” Perkins said.

But Alia Salem, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations Dallas-Fort Worth, said she and other Muslims had wanted nothing to do with the event.

“We were actively ignoring and encouraging the community to ignore it,” she said. “We did not want to be the bearers of any kind of incitement.”

Before the shootings, the organizer of the event, Pamela Geller, dismissed critics who called her American Freedom Defense Initiative an extremist organization.

“As if pursuing good in the extreme makes it a bad thing,” she said.

She said Sunday night that the shooting showed how “needed our event really was.”

The event’s keynote speaker, Geert Wilders, was a right-wing Dutch lawmaker known for a hard-line stance against Islam.

“We are here in defiance of Islam to stand for our rights and freedom of speech,” he said during his speech shortly before the shootings. “That is our duty.”

He was greeted with a standing ovation, and he told the audience that most terrorists are Muslims, and “the less Islam the better.”

The American Freedom Defense Initiative paid an additional $10,000 upfront for 40 officers to work security at the event. Geller called that expense “the high cost of freedom.”

Police had been monitoring social media for online threats. Late Sunday, authorities were checking into activity on Twitter that included “#texasattack” before the gunfire began: “May Allah accept us as mujahideen [those engaged in jihad],” a message said.

The winner of the contest, Bosch Fawstin, said that when he saw the high level of security, he didn’t believe there would be any kind of danger.

“I had known it would be secure, but seeing it is a whole new thing,” he said before the shootings.

In January, the Culwell Center had been the scene of dueling protests during a pro-Muslim Stand With the Prophet in Honor and Respect event in January.

Some protesters then called for peace and understanding, while anti-Muslim demonstrators argued that extremists’ beliefs threatened the U.S.

Garland ISD had faced criticism for the decision to book the January event a little more than a week after Islamic militants in France killed 12 people at the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

School board president Rick Lambert rebuffed the criticism, saying, “the Culwell Center is available for rental as long as you comply with the law.”

Staff writers Claire Z. Cardona, Julie Fancher and Naomi Martin and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

UPDATE: Injured officer released

Authorities identified the Garland ISD security officer who was shot Sunday as Bruce Joiner.

He was hospitalized for an ankle wound but was released Sunday night.

Garland police spokesman Joe Harn said Joiner was dressed in a police-style uniform but was not armed.

Before joining the school district’s security force about two years ago, Joiner, 58, served as a Rowlett police officer and a duty sergeant at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

April 28: Islam debate returns to Garland ISD’s Culwell Center with Muhammad art event

·

·  Feb. 17: Anti-Islam group books Garland ISD arena; district cites nondiscriminatory facilities policy  <http://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/headlines/20150216-anti-islam-group-books-garland-isd-arena-district-cites-nondiscriminatory-facilities-policy.ece>

·

·  'Muhammad Art Exhibit' group billed $10,000 to pay 40 officers for security at Garland ISD site  <http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/muhammed-art-exhibit-contract-calls-for-40-officers-at-garland-isd-site.html/>

·

·  Jan. 15: Protesters picket Islamic conference in Garland  <http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/garland-mesquite/headlines/20150118-protesters-picket-islamic-conference-in-garland.ece>

--

Regards,
Richard Whitenight

Twitter:  @rwhitenight0648

My e-mail is being maintained by the NSA, CIA, FBI, and the Department of Homeland Security.  You can't get better secure e-mail than that.