[Rushtalk] Trump vs. Jeb

Carl Spitzer lynux at keepandbeararms.com
Wed Oct 21 12:12:34 MDT 2015

Trump vs. Jeb

I know who I’m rooting for!

by Justin Raimondo, October 21, 2015
Print This | Share This
You may not like Donald Trump, for any one of a number of reasons, but
anti-interventionists have to give him some credit for opening up the
presidential debate to a critique of US foreign policy that hasn’t been
seen or heard since the Ron Paul campaign. On Syria and on Iraq,
he challenges the GOP/neoconservative orthodoxy in a way that Sen. Rand
Paul hasn’t been able to do: indeed, one could argue that Trump has
stolen Rand’s thunder – such as it is – in sounding the
anti-interventionist note. And now Trump is upsetting the conventional
GOP wisdom in an even more fundamental sense by challenging the “he kept
us safe” theme that Jeb Bush has been pushing on behalf of his brother –
you know, that former chief executive who left office with a popularity
rating lower than any President in recent memory.

The Jeb-Trump contretemps played out over the weekend’s talk shows, with
The Donald telling Fox News:

“Look, Jeb said we were safe with my brother – we were safe. Well, the
World Trade Center just fell down. Now, am I trying to blame him? I’m
not blaming anybody. But the World Trade Center came down. So when he
said, we were safe, that’s not safe. We lost 3,000 people, it was one of
the greatest – probably the greatest catastrophe ever in this country if
you think about it.”

Ouch!

Jeb came back at him on CNN, the cable station nobody watches,
protesting that brother George “united the country,” and going on to
aver:

“I don’t know why he keeps bringing this up. It doesn’t show that he’s a
serious person as it relates to being commander in chief and being the
architect of a foreign policy. Across the spectrum of foreign policy,
Mr. Trump talks about things that – as though he’s still on The
Apprentice.”

I’m sure Jeb has never seen a single episode of “The Apprentice,” and
that’s because he’s a Very Serious Person who is fast becoming the
architect of his own defeat. This kind of condescending snootiness is a
definite turnoff for voters, many of whom haveseen “The Apprentice” and
don’t appreciate being talked down to. Because in talking down to Trump,
voters feel Jeb is talking down to them. That Jeb and his advisors don’t
get this is the chief reason why the Bush campaign is sinking like a
stone.

And just how serious is Jeb’s critique of Trump? If you parse it, it
makes no sense: what does being commander-in-chief have to do with
Trump’s criticism of brother Bush that, after all, the twin towers came
down on his watch? What does being “the architect of a foreign policy”
have to do with Trump’s assertion that the hijackers wouldn’t have even
been allowed into the country if he had been President at the time? And
what, exactly, does “across the spectrum of foreign policy” mean,
anyway?

While Jeb may believe attacking his brother is a mistake Trump will come
to regret – he immediately launched a fundraising drive asking his
Twitter followers for $5 to “defend my brother” – the reality is that
Trump has hit a nerve. And he dug the stiletto in deeper when he
tweeted this New York Times op ed piece pointing out that George W. Bush
had plenty of warning before 9/11 that something big was in the works.

This is important for two reasons: 1) It reinforces one of the major
themes of the Trump campaign, which is the utter incompetence of our
supposedly all-wise rulers, and 2) It upends one of the central myths of
the post-9/11 era, which is that they attacked us because we’re so
wonderful and free. Trump has another view, which he expressed in his
book, The America We Deserve, published over a year before the 9/11
attacks. In that book he wrote:

“I really am convinced we’re in danger of the sort of terrorist attacks
that will make the bombing of the Trade Center look like kids playing
with firecrackers. No sensible analyst rejects this possibility, and
plenty of them, like me, are not wondering if but when it will happen.”

Not only that, but he attached a name to the threat:

“One day we’re told that a shadowy figure with no fixed address named
Osama bin-Laden is public enemy number one, and U.S. jetfighters lay
waste to his camp in Afghanistan. He escapes back under some rock, and a
few news cycles later it’s on to a new enemy and new crisis.”

And Trump makes the same point made by Ron Paul during that now famous
moment in the 2008 GOP debate when Paul described the 9/11 attacks as