[Rushtalk] Burqas, mosques, ‘gay propaganda’ all banned in Hungarian village

Carl Spitzer cwsiv at juno.com
Tue Dec 13 09:43:14 MST 2016

Burqas, mosques, ‘gay propaganda’ all banned in Hungarian village

Published time: 25 Nov, 2016 17:52
Get short URL
© Ammar Awad
© Ammar Awad / Reuters
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook8.1KShare to TwitterShare to Reddit9Share to
StumbleUponShare to Google+Share to Tumblr
The far-right mayor of a southern Hungarian village has banned the open
expression of Islam, including the building of mosques and wearing of
veils and headscarves, as well as the promotion of same-sex marriages.
In a post on Facebook, Laszlo Toroczkai, mayor of Asotthalom, a village
near the Serbian border, outlined the proposals adopted by his council
after a session on Wednesday.

All board members voted for the new rules, with only two abstentions.

“Instead of looking for a scapegoat, I offer an immediate solution, a
defense against the forced mass resettlement [of migrants] by Brussels,”
Toroczkai wrote in his post.

“Today the Asotthalom village council adopted my proposal – which is an
action package – to defend our community and traditions from any plan
for the outside resettlement [of migrants]. All that needs to be done is
for the rest of Hungary’s municipalities to adopt our preventative
action package, and with that we will have defended our homeland.”

The mayor of the Hungarian border village of Asotthalom, Laszlo
Toroczkai © Laszlo Balogh
The mayor of the Hungarian border village of Asotthalom, Laszlo
Toroczkai © Laszlo Balogh / Reuters
The measures that Toroczkai put in place include a ban on the
construction of mosques and any other place of worship which undermines
the Catholic Church, a ban on the muezzin’s traditional call to prayer,
and a ban on all face coverings such as the hijab, niqab and burqa, as
well as the burkini.

Additionally, the ordinance also bans any kind of “public propaganda”
which shows the institution of marriage being in any way other than
“between a man and woman. This includes any public activity,
performance, demonstrations, billboard, leaflet, or audio
advertisement.”

Read more
© HVIM1920Hungarian mayor stars in action movie-like video to deter
refugees
These measures, Toroczkai says, will protect Hungary from the “two
pagans”: migration from the south, and “extreme liberalism” from the
West.

Toroczkai belongs to the far-right Jobbik party, whose stated aim is
protecting “Hungarian values and interests.” But the party has also been
accused of racism, anti-Semitism and homophobia.

"I want to be an example to other pioneering local authorities on how to
protect themselves from external resettlement or any other subversive
intentions," he said at the council meeting, as reported by
delmagyar.hu.

Toroczkai is also the leader of the Sixty-Four Countries Youth Movement,
a nationalist group seeking to reclaim lands that have historically
belonged to Hungary. He is also known for his harsh anti-migrant
rhetoric, including an action-movie like video showing big, burly men
giving chase to illegal immigrants on motorcycles, helicopters and even
on horseback.

Hungary is one of the European countries least welcoming to refugees and
asylum seekers. In a referendum held in October, 98.3 percent of
Hungarian voters rejected mandatory EU asylum seeker quotas in a
referendum proposed by PM Viktor Orban. However, the referendum failed
to reach the required 50 percent turnout, partly due to a boycott by the
opposition. Orban himself has made a number of remarks on the subject,
including suggesting that all refugees who came illegally be deported
onto camps on an island or off the coast of Africa.

--
----CWSIV----

     \_/

How To Fix Cracked Feet