[Rushtalk] Reparations

Carl Spitzer lynux at keepandbeararms.com
Mon Feb 29 10:43:49 MST 2016

Reparations

Fred Reed was a police reporter for one of the large Washington
newspapers. He now writes a column which can be Googled. ("Fred on
Everything.")

Fred published a weekly online column in which he got to say the things
his editors would never, ever have let him write in the paper. His stuff
is iconoclastic and various articles have probably offended everyone --
regardless of political orientation.

So, with the warning that "This is definitely not politically correct,"
here comes Fred.

The following is an essay regarding the failings of a system and a
culture. Please note that he elegantly describes the mood of many
Americans and he does so without prejudice.

---------------------------------

Slavery Reparations by Fred Reed

On the Web I find that Henry Louis Gates Jr., the chairman of
Afro-American Studies at Harvard, is demanding that whites pay
reparations to blacks. It's because of slavery, see. He is joined in
this endeavor by a gaggle of other professional blacks. I guess he'll
send me a bill, huh? I feel like saying, "Let me get this straight,
Henry. I'm slow. Be patient. You want free money because of slavery,
right? I don't blame you." I'd like free money too.

Tell you what. I believe in justice. I'll give you a million dollars for
every slave I own, and another million for every year you were a slave.
Fair enough? But tell me, how many slaves do you suppose I have? In
round numbers, I mean...say to the nearest dozen. And how long were you
a slave? Oh -- in other words, I owe you reparations for something that
I didn't do and didn't happen to you. That makes sense. Like lug nuts on
a birthday cake.

But if we're going to talk about reparations, that's a street that runs
in two directions. You want money from me for what some other whites did
to some other blacks in another century? How about you guys paying
whites reparations for current expenses caused by blacks?

Not long ago blacks burned down half of Los Angeles, a city in my
country. Cities are expensive, Hank. Build one sometime and you'll see
what I mean. Whites had to pay taxes to repair Los Angeles for you. You
can send me a check.

Now, yes, I know you burned LA because you didn't like the verdict in
the trial of those police officers. Well, I didn't like the verdict in
the Simpson trial. But I didn't burn my house and loot Korean grocers,
or burn down a city.

Over the years blacks have burned a lot of American cities: Newark,
Detroit, Watts, on and on. Now add in the fantastic cost over the years
of welfare in all its forms, the cost of all of those police calls
people had to make, for cells and jails and security systems in
department stores.

I can't live in the capital city of my own country because of crime
committed by blacks. Toss in the cultural cost of lowering standards in
everything for the benefit of blacks. See what I mean?

Now, I'd view things differently if you said to me, "Fred, blacks can't
get anywhere in a modern country without education. We need better
schools, smarter teachers, harder courses, books with smaller pictures
and bigger words. Can you help us?" I'd say, "Hallelujah! Hoo-rah! Not
just yes, but HELL YES!

Let's sell an aircraft carrier and get these folks some real schools and
get them into the economic main-stream.' I'd say it partly because it
would be the right thing to do, and partly because I'd like to add you
guys to the tax base.

The current custodial state is expensive. I'd just love for blacks to
study and learn to compete and stop burning places. But is it going to
happen? You may not believe it, but I, and most whites, don't like
seeing blacks as miserable and screwed up as they are.

I spend a fair amount of time in the projects. Those places are ugly.
It's no fun watching perfectly good kids turn into semi-literate dope
dealers who barely speak English. It just plain ain't right. But, Henry,
what am I supposed to do about it? I can't do your children's homework.
At some point, people have to do things for themselves, or they don't
get done. Maybe it's time.

I'll tell you what I see out in the world, Henry -- I think blacks are
too accustomed to getting anything they want by just demanding it. True,
it has worked for over half a century. Get a few hundred people in the
street, implicitly threaten to loot and burn, holler about slavery and
sadly, the Great White Cash Spigot turns on.

Thing is, whites don't much buy it any longer. Most recognize that what
once was a civil-rights movement has become a shakedown game. Few people
still feel responsible for the failings and inadequacies of blacks.
Political correctness keeps the lid on, but everyone knows the score.
Which scares me, Henry.

On one hand, blacks hate whites and incline toward looting and burning.
(The whites you hate also marched in the civil-rights movement. Ever
think about that?)

On the other hand, whites quietly grow wearier and wearier of it. Not
good, Henry.

On the third hand (allow me three hands, for rhetorical convenience),
blacks keep demanding things. As I write, you demand reparations for
slavery. Blacks in Oklahoma (I think it was) want money for some ancient
race riot. Other blacks reject the Declaration of Independence. Blacks
in New York and now Ferguson hint broadly at burning and looting over a
trial, yet more demand the elimination of the Confederate flag, and the
federal equal opportunity apparatus, which means blacks want to sue
Silicon Valley for not hiring the nearly nonexistent black engineers.
That's a lot of demanding for one month, Henry.

What happens if whites ever say, "No"?

Now, how about you? You've got a cushy job up there at Harvard, and you
can hoot and holler about what swine and bandits whites are. I guess
it's lots of fun, and you get a salary for it to boot. But don't you
think you might do blacks more good if you told them to complain less
and study more? For example, if you want blacks to work in Silicon
Gulch, the best approach might be to find some really smart black guys,
and get them to study digital design -- not Black Studies (as you
teach). That's how everybody else does it. It works. Then blacks
wouldn't feel left out, and racial tensions would decline. Sound like a
plan? Just out of curiosity, how many hours a week do professors of
Afro-American Studies spend in the projects, encouraging poor black kids
to study real-life subjects?