[Rushtalk] South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley Says We’ve Never Passed Racist Laws In This Country

Carl Spitzer lynux at keepandbeararms.com
Tue Jan 19 11:13:52 MST 2016

Forgetting the republican passed civil rights and Affirmative Action
laws.  CWSIV

Author: Stephen D Foster Jr January 14, 2016 2:14 am

We’ve never passed racist laws in this country, says the woman who is
the governor of a former slave state where Jim Crow laws flourished and
the Confederate flag flew until July 2015.

It’s most definitely the most ridiculous thing Nikki Haley has ever
said, and it comes just a day after she delivered the Republican
response to the State of the Union Address.

Only six months have gone by since Haley called for removing the
Confederate flag off statehouse grounds after a racist gunman murdered
nine African-American parishioners at a black church in Charleston.

The flag has been a symbol of white supremacy and slavery since the
Civil War and actually flew on the statehouse itself after a law was
passed mandating it. That’s why it took a vote of the South Carolina
House and Senate to remove it for good.

So, it’s pretty damn mind-boggling to hear Haley claim that we’ve never
passed racist laws in this country.

According to Talking Points Memo, Haley responded to criticism of her
speech by Donald Trump, who called her weak on immigration. And let’s
just say it didn’t go well.

“When you’ve got immigrants who are coming here legally, we’ve never in
the history of this country passed any laws or done anything based on
race or religion. Let’s not start that now. We’ve gone too far than to
That’s not worth it.”

Yes, she really claimed that there have never been racist laws in the
history of this nation, even though Haley lives and works in a state
that seceded from the Union because they feared their pro-slavery laws
would be abolished by President Lincoln.

As Gawker points out, South Carolina also had many Jim Crow laws on the
books, including making it “illegal for “any white man to intermarry
with any woman of either the Indian or negro races” until 1967,” and
banning restaurants from serving “white and colored passengers in the
same room, or at the same table, or at the same counter” until 1954.

Racism is even present in our own Constitution as the Founding Fathers
made it the law that African-Americans could only count as three-fifths
of a person when determining the number of congressional seats each
state has every ten years.

In addition, there’s the Indian Removal Act of 1830, the Fugitive Slave
Act of 1850, the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, literacy tests for
voting, Operation “Wetback” of 1954, and the internment of Japanese
Americans during World War II, just to name a few. To see more, click
here.

Either Nikki Haley doesn’t know the history of America and our legal
system, or she is whitewashing it. Conservatives must be proud.