[Rushtalk] Silence, but Not Silent

Carl Spitzer lynux at keepandbeararms.com
Mon Jun 13 20:43:08 MDT 2016

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: bjohnson at americandecency.org

                   For more information, please call 231.924.4050
  Home Page     |     About Us     |     Contact Us     |     Subscribe

                              To: Friends

                           From: Bill Johnson
                     Re:   Silence, but Not Silent
                          Date:  June 13, 2016

                           By:  Steve Huston

“A gunman who pledged allegiance to the Islamic State opened fire inside
 a crowded gay bar and dance club here early Sunday, leaving 49 people
  dead and 53 injured in the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history,
  authorities said.”  Thus opens The Washington Post’s article on this
crime against God which took place during the early hours of Sunday. Add
the gunman who murdered those within the club, who was himself killed by
    the police, and that gives us a total of 50 who died during this
                               atrocity.

Let’s take a moment of silence as we reflect on the 50 men and women who
                   were created in the image of God.

Let’s take a moment of silence as we reflect on the other victims whose
                   lives have been forever impacted.

 Let’s take a moment of silence as we consider the numerous hearts that
 have been broken and families that have been forever affected by this
   evil. In truth, we have all been affected by this to some degree.

  Let’s take a moment of silence as we remember that these are now 50
souls who have stepped out of time and into eternity. As they were, they
                           will forever be.

Let’s take a moment of silence remembering the Apostle’s exhortation in
   Romans 12:15, “Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who
                                 weep.”

   Let’s take a moment of silence remembering Ecclesiastes 7:2 “It is
   better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of
feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to
his heart.” Taking a moment to reflect on the frailty and uncertainty of
life as these casualties went from a “house of feasting” to a “house of
  mourning” in the blink of an eye. It could indeed be any one of us.

We take these moments to share in their grief that we might show Christ;
 and in so doing, take an opportunity to share the compassion of truth.

 Putting silence aside for a moment, let’s recognize that this is NOT a
gun control issue. Why is it that every time someone goes on a shooting
 rampage, the government wants to take guns away from those who aren’t
 doing the shooting?  Why take guns away from the law-abiding citizen,
   thereby putting others at risk and at the whims of those who would
                     perpetuate criminal activity?

Putting silence aside, let’s recognize that no matter how much they say
  it’s not about religion, the shooter, Omar Mateen, called 9-1-1 and
 pledged allegiance to the leader of the Islamic State. Let’s take note
 that his dad was a long time supporter of the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Putting silence aside, let’s acknowledge that these “lone wolf” attacks
  aren’t so “lone wolf” as the media would like us to believe. Islamic
  terrorist groups, including and in particular the Islamic State, has
called for an increase in so-called lone wolf attacks, especially in the
West and in particular during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which is
                        taking place right now.

   Putting silence aside, let’s speak out loudly that there is a vast
difference between Islam and Christianity. While Jesus calls us to love
  our enemy, Mohammad would call for the killing of that enemy. While
 Christ calls us to share the compassion of truth with the homosexual,
 Mohammad calls for the killing of the same. While the Koran would make
  life seem to have little worth, the Bible tells us that all life is
                         sacred and of worth.

Often the Christian and the Muslim may look too much alike to those who
were enjoying the festivities at the nightclub this past Saturday night.
   When we wield the truth as a weapon instead of living it out with
 compassion, reconciling the world to God, we do our Lord a disservice.
 “We are called to live the truth, to teach the truth, to be the truth,
 and to love our neighbors on the basis of that truth.” (Al Mohler; We
                           Cannot Be Silent)

  We dare not remain silent about the atrocities committed against God
  (for all sin is against our Creator); yet we mustn’t forget our own
 brokenness and the grace which saves. The truth needs to be presented
  with boldness and urgency—for time is short—yet it must be presented
                       with love and compassion.

 After taking these moments of silence let us speak aloud to the God of
heaven. Pray for these victims and the affected families. Pray that God
will send a voice of compassionate truth into their lives. Pray that our
country may once more have open eyes to the truth, truth in life and in
 government. Pray that God will transform each of us into better image
       bearers—presenting Him more accurately—in truth and love.