[Rushtalk] Terror Watch List and RKBA

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 28 06:59:02 MDT 2016

In case you haven't been paying attention there is a strong movement,
based on emotion after the Orlando attack, to add those on the terror
watch list (aka no-fly list) to the National Instant Check Systems
(NICS) database. This is the background check system that prevents
prohibited persons from purchasing firearms. Unfortunately there is a
lot of ignorance surrounding this issue due to misinformation and lies
of omission.

While it sounds like a good idea there is a serious problem with the
terror watch list itself. That is anyone can be placed on the list,
intentionally or inadvertently, for any reason by a bureaucrat. In
addition, this is a secret list so there is no way to know who is on it
or why. The final insult is that once someone discovers they are on the
list (like when they are prevented from buying a firearm), there is no
due process provision to get off it. As you may or may not know, there
have even been members of congress put on this list and with all their
power it still took many months to be removed. This is an extremely
dangerous precedent and will provide a means for any administration to
effectively destroy the 2nd amendment. Its not bad enough that we have
to worry about Hillery appointing anti-rights justices if elected but
this would be even more onerous.

As you know the NRA is the most effective organization for protecting
the 2nd amendment and the NRA-ILA is mounting a campaign to prevent this
effort by anti-rights organizations and that takes money. I don't like
soliciting on this forum this but this issue is of critical importance
so I am asking anyone that cares and has the means, even if you are not
an NRA member, to contribute to this cause.

https://www.nrailadonate.org/forms/default.asp?campaignid=fightback

P.S. Am I the only one that sees the irony of Rep. John Lewis (D-GA)
recent "sit-in" in the house last week? Lewis staged sit-ins in the 60's
to expand civil rights and last week staged a sit-in to strip civil rights.