[Rushtalk] Hollywood is back to blacklisting actors!

Carl Spitzer lynux at keepandbeararms.com
Sun May 29 16:16:36 MDT 2016

The 'Lethal Weapon' writer says Mel Gibson is 'blacklisted' in Hollywood

(REUTERS/Kevork Djansezian)
Mel Gibson.

It's been 10 years since Mel Gibson was arrested on DUI charges on the
Pacific Coast Highway in California.

And while police officers took him out of his car, the Oscar winner said
the infamous words:

"F---ing Jews ... the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the
world."

After the public recoiled in disgust, Gibson did the revealing interview
apologizing for the comments and met with Jewish leaders.

In 2007, a judge even praised him for his progress in his alcohol rehab.

But the actor who was a sex symbol in the '80s and went on to direct in
the '90s — and make one of the most profitable movies of all time, "The
Passion of the Christ" — has never rebounded since that summer evening.

Gibson has starred in only six films since 2006 — including one that's
coming out this summer, "Blood Father." And not one had a big studio
backing it.

Shane Black — director of the new movie "The Nice Guys" and who wrote
one of Gibson's most legendary films, "Lethal Weapon" — thinks that he
knows why the actor has had a lack of work.

"I think he's essentially been blacklisted in the industry," Black told
Business Insider in a new interview. "I think people don't want to work
with him."

Gibson has had some big players in the industry try to revive his
career, including friend Jodie Foster, who cast him in her 2011
directing effort, "The Beaver."

But Gibson hasn't had near the revival of another of his buddies, Robert
Downey Jr., whose substance-abuse problems in the late '90s led him to
go to prison.

In fact, Downey told Black a while back that he'd like Gibson to direct
an "Iron Man" movie if another one happens. Black directed "Iron Man 3."

But Black says that there's been no word since, and, as far as he knows,
the idea of Gibson helming "Iron Man" is "nothing serious."

Black is no stranger to substance abuse, either. He's been open about
his hard-partying ways in the '90s and his battle to get sober in 2008.

And as someone with his own struggles, Black believes that Gibson needs
to be forgiven.

Black said:

I've always been a tremendous fan of Mel Gibson, not just as an actor,
but I think he's a good guy. I just don't believe in holding anyone
accountable for something that they say while they're drunk because if
I'm drunk I'm going to be deliberately belligerent, first off. I'm going
to say something that I know will piss you off and will delight in the
fact that I'm destroying the house and burning it down. That's what
drunk people do. So the idea that that's truly who a person is when he's
had a few, I don't believe that at all. I just think that's wrong. I
know a lot of great people and they are not necessarily great when
they're drunk. So I don't trust that.

Gibson is in postproduction on his first directing effort in a decade,
the World War II drama "Hacksaw Ridge" starring Andrew Garfield.

The Gibson we knew may never get his full comeback, thanks to the "nasty
things" he said that night with the cops, as Black puts it. But he's
getting somewhere.

NOW WATCH: Before you see Fury Road, watch the 1979 trailer for Mad Max
that started it all