[Rushtalk] Trump's 'control-alt-delete' on climate change policy

Carl Spitzer cwsiv at juno.com
Fri Feb 10 09:06:10 MST 2017

LOOKS LIKE THE LEFT FEARS FOR THE END OF THEIR EARTH MOTHER GODLESS
RELIGION.

Not according to White House spokesman Sean Spicer.

"I don't think it's any surprise that when there's an administration
turnover, that we're going to review the policy," he said.

However the disappearance of tweets of basic climate change information
from the Badlands National Park Twitter account has raised serious
concerns that the Trump team is not just seeking to roll back
regulation, but is also taking an ideological stand against what they
might see as "warmist" propaganda.

Back in 2009, President Obama enacted rules that federal agencies should
have scientific integrity policies, that guaranteed the rights of free
speech of employees, following on from the gagging of some researchers
and the altering of reports under the Bush administration.

While the current steps being taken by the Trump team may turn out to be
less restrictive than feared, on this side of the pond there's a great
deal of concern.

Scientists see the forthcoming visit of UK prime minister Theresa May to
Washington as an opportunity to press the President to rein in his
approach.

"We are beginning to see our fears realised less than a week after
President Trump has taken office," said Bob Ward, from the Grantham
Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.

"I hope that the Prime Minister will challenge President Trump about
this censorship and political interference in the process of gaining and
sharing knowledge about climate change during their meeting on Friday."

Climate scientists in the US are also rallying to fight back.

A march on Washington by scientists is being proposed, Facebook pages
and Twitter accounts have been created based on the the idea that "an
American government that ignores science to pursue ideological agendas
endangers the world".

Meanwhile, another national park - Golden Gate NPS - has started
tweeting climate facts.

----CWSIV----

     \_/

Affordable Wireless Plans