[Rushtalk] Ridiculous!

Stephen Frye stephen.frye at outlook.com
Sat Sep 16 17:42:20 MDT 2017

You have cited the whole problem.
“, than your moral behavior as mentioned within the Bible. Checkmate!”

Collective use of I, we, etc.  You are indeed trying to regulate my life and behavior by your religion.  I won’t tolerate that from Muslims, why should I tolerate it from you?

Catholicism, and then Christianity in general,  has been shoved down the throats of people for hundreds of years.  No wonder people are finally pushing back.  We brought that on ourselves.  We need to attract people to Christianity by our example, by our openness, by our forgiveness, and by our invitation true peace and love.  We’ll get nowhere by demanding.

Demanding and indoctrination are what is causing us to lose so many of our young people.  They see the gross misuse of Holy Scripture, and they call us on it.  Our unwillingness to respond in a realistic way is causing them to throw away the entire concept.  We are no longer an ignorant people who will follow something as abstract as religion when we see little sign of its teachings in everyday life – even from the pat-themselves-on-the-backs Bible thumpers.  There is far too much hypocrisy.  When it comes to Holy Scripture, so many of us can’t see the forest for the trees.  And we are being called on that, too.  Our common response of hellfire and brimstone doesn’t (and will probably never again) work.  As a species, we are past that.  People must be attracted to Christianity by love and forgiveness and example.  Intimidation won’t work anymore.  The Inquisition, denial of medical assistance, cutting off earlobes etc. are ways of the past that are outdated.  No one is paying attention.  And they never will again, unless we drastically change our approach.

BTW, I think a lot of Jews would disagree with Christianity claiming the Bible as solely its own.  Also part of the problem.  We are arrogant.  Most people, myself included, will neither tolerate nor willingly associate with arrogance.  It is distasteful.