[Rushtalk] Ridiculous!

John Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 16 21:06:55 MDT 2017

On 9/16/2017 10:53 PM, Stephen Frye wrote:

> You are totally missing the point, John.  And I have gone down similar
> roads with you in the past.  Get off your high horse of “I am right,
> you are wrong.  Case closed.”  You’re too close to even see.
>
> I do not have blinders on.  Quite the contrary, actually. Disagreeing
> with you – or anyone – does not automatically constitute blinders.
> Nor am I wearing earplugs.
>
> Of course Islam is being shoved down our throats.  I don’t like that,
> either.  It took hundreds of years for society to finally say “enough”
> to having Christianity pushed on them, so I am hopeful it will not
> take that long with Islam.
>
> And you are absolutely right:  society is the arbiter of societal
> norms.  Thank you.  It is not your religion, my religion, anyone’s
> religion.

/*And who ever said otherwise?!? It wasn't me, certainly..................*/

> You are off the deep end.  Poor conduct by religious zealots is
> exactly what turns people off to religion!  As it happened with
> Christianity, so it will happen to Islam.  But we discussed that
> already.  It will take time – hopefully less.

/*I fear much brutality in the interim............just MHO. */

> As far as worshipping with a chip on my shoulder – exactly where do
> you get off assuming you are privy to something so vile?  Do you have
> – or think you have – some special insight into my personal
> relationship with God?  That is both arrogant and ignorant.  I worship
> God the way I chose – such is absolutely none of your f’ing business.

/*What you are displaying, Stephen - regardless of the reality of the
situation - is that you worship in anger, with a chip on your shoulder.
As a Catholic, we are called to follow the Magisterium. I'm positive
that you already know this. You're right. It's none of my business
whether you do or you don't. */

> I constantly read and hear Holy Scripture cited for two purposes:
>
> One – To condemn someone else
>
> Two – to justify killing, hatred, war, etc.

/*Hopefully, you don't experience this during Mass..............*/

> I hear and read – here – folks who are masters at citing anecdotal
> passages of Holy Scripture for exactly those two purposes, while
> ignoring – or not seeing – the true purpose and meaning of that deeply
> meaningful collection of writings. Such bastardizations even angered
> Jesus in His time.  We are also called to love one another as Jesus
> loved us.  When I read about that really happening, or see it really
> happening – as a norm, not anecdotal, I’ll let you know.
>
> The problem is, I can rationalize all of this.  I can.  I am as good
> at it as the next person.  I also know that such is not what is
> expected of me.  Deep down, we all do.

/*Snowflakes in Berkeley likely do not (devil's advocate,
here)......................*/

> I also know, in my heart of hearts, that I will not be judged on the
> number of TV’s I have, the size of those TV’s, the kinds of cars in my
> driveway, the square footage of my home.

/*Of course not. That would be absurd and a mockery of your faith. */

> As a Christian, I will be judged by the answer to the one question
> that matters, and that will explain everything.
>
> If a significant number of us could answer with a resounding “yes”, we
> wouldn’t be in the position we are in.  We are in the condition we are
> because of our own conduct, not the conduct of others.