[Rushtalk] Ralph Peters tells the truth in leaving fox news

Carl Spitzer cwsiv at juno.com
Thu Apr 5 08:58:02 MDT 2018

Ralph Peters Tells the Truth in Leaving Fox News

March 22, 2018 by Ed Brayton

75 Comments

Lt. Col. Ralph Peters, a retired military officer who has been a paid
Fox News contributor for a decade now, just quit the net    work and
sent a blistering email to everyone else at the network explaining why.
This is accurate and absolutely devastating.

        On March 1st, I informed Fox that I would not renew my contract.
        The purpose of this message to all of you is twofold:

        First, I must thank each of you for the cooperation and support
        you’ve shown me over the years. Those working off-camera, the
        bookers and producers, don’t often get the recognition you
        deserve, but I want you to know that I have always appreciated
        the challenges you face and the skill with which you master
        them.

        Second, I feel compelled to explain why I have to leave. Four
        decades ago, I took an oath as a newly commissioned officer. I
        swore to “support and defend the Constitution,” and that oath
        did not expire when I took off my uniform. Today, I feel that
        Fox News is assaulting our constitutional order and the rule of
        law, while fostering corrosive and unjustified paranoia among
        viewers. Over my decade with Fox, I long was proud of the
        association. Now I am ashamed.

        In my view, Fox has degenerated from providing a legitimate and
        much-needed outlet for conservative voices to a mere propaganda
        machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration..
        When prime-time hosts–who have never served our country in any
        capacity–dismiss facts and empirical reality to launch
        profoundly dishonest assaults on the FBI, the Justice
        Department, the courts, the intelligence community (in which I
        served) and, not least, a model public servant and genuine war
        hero such as Robert Mueller–all the while scaremongering with
        lurid warnings of “deep-state” machinations– I cannot be part of
        the same organization, even at a remove. To me, Fox News is now
        wittingly harming our system of government for profit.

        As a Russia analyst for many years, it also has appalled me that
        hosts who made their reputations as super-patriots and who,
        justifiably, savaged President Obama for his duplicitous folly
        with Putin, now advance Putin’s agenda by making light of
        Russian penetration of our elections and the Trump campaign.
        Despite increasingly pathetic denials, it turns out that the
        “nothing-burger” has been covered with Russian dressing all
        along. And by the way: As an intelligence professional, I can
        tell you that the Steele dossier rings true–that’s how the
        Russians do things.. The result is that we have an American
        president who is terrified of his counterpart in Moscow.

        I do not apply the above criticisms in full to Fox Business,
        where numerous hosts retain a respect for facts and maintain a
        measure of integrity (nor is every host at Fox News a propaganda
        mouthpiece–some have shown courage). I have enjoyed and valued
        my relationship with Fox Business, and I will miss a number of
        hosts and staff members. You’re the grown-ups.

        Also, I deeply respect the hard-news reporters at Fox, who
        continue to do their best as talented professionals in a
        poisoned environment. These are some of the best men and women
        in the business..

        So, to all of you: Thanks, and, as our president’s favorite
        world leader would say, “Das vidanya.”

Ouch. That’s gonna leave a mark. Or it would, if the Sean Hannitys of
the world were capable of thinking consistently or examining their own
biases. But they’re not. They’re tribal partisan hacks all the way to
the core, willing to say or do anything to help their “team.” I’ll be
curious to see if Shep Smith, Chris Wallace or some of the other
professional journalists at the network talk about this on their shows
or not, and what they’ll have to say about if it they do.

.

--
----CWSIV----

     \_/