[Rushtalk] Ben Shapiro At His Best

John Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 5 11:49:08 MST 2018


/*Ben, IMHO, is particularly impressive, the way he thinks on this 
feet..........*/


On 2/4/2018 8:01 PM, John Nebel wrote:
> John,
>
> Right, well worth watching, both Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson.  It's
> especially interesting that each respects and listens to the other.
>
> John
>
> On 2/4/2018 9:38 AM, John Quayle wrote:
>> *E-NEWS from Endeavour Forum Inc**.** **http://www.endeavourforum.org.au/*
>>
>>
>>
>> * *
>>
>> *A free email news service distributing authentic information from a variety
>> of reliable sources*.
>>
>> * *
>>
>> * *
>>
>> *What right not to be offended?*
>>
>>
>>
>> *by Ben Shapiro January 24, 2018 National Review***
>>
>> http://www.nationalreview.com/article/455714/jordan-peterson-interview-offending-people
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> A Canadian professor questions a key tenet of current Leftist thinking.
>> Earlier this week, Professor Jordan Peterson of the University of Toronto
>> burst into the international headlines again, this time thanks to a
>> shockingly polite interview with British interviewer Cathy Newman. The entire
>> interview was an insipid exercise in Newman attempting to cram her own words
>> into Peterson’s mouth; as Conor Friedersdorf of The Atlantic points out,
>> Newman’s technique was to “restate what [Peterson] said so as to make it seem
>> as if [his] view is offensive, hostile, or absurd.” Peterson, with the
>> patience and mildness of a saint, doggedly refused to be boxed in that way.
>>
>>
>>
>> But the segment of the interview that grabbed the public’s imagination
>> wasn’t Peterson’s discussion of the wage gap or the biology of hierarchical
>> relationships. It was a very simple exchange over the value of truth. Newman
>> questioned Peterson on why he refused to go along with the trendy leftist
>> cause du jour: using pronouns chosen by individuals rather than pronouns that
>> describe their biology. “Why should your freedom of speech trump a trans
>> person’s right not to be offended?” Newman asked. Peterson, ever the
>> gentleman, answered the question without guffawing: “Because in order to be
>> able to think, you have to risk being offensive. I mean, look at the
>> conversation we’re having right now. You’re certainly willing to risk
>> offending me in the pursuit of truth. Why should you have the right to do
>> that? It’s been rather uncomfortable.” Newman misdirected: “Well, I’m very
>> glad I’ve put you on the spot.” But Peterson pursued: “Well, you get my
>> point. You’re doing what you should do, which is digging a bit to see what
>> the hell is going on. And that is what you should do. But you’re exercising
>> your freedom of speech to certainly risk offending me, and that’s fine. More
>> power to you, as far as I’m concerned.” Newman had no answer.
>>
>>
>>
>> Point to Peterson. But despite Peterson’s obvious logic, the Left refuses to
>> concede this particular point. Any statement — any statement — must be
>> gauged not only on the basis of its truth-value, according to the Left, but
>> on the basis of whether such truth is likely to offend — or, at least,
>> whether such truth is likely to offend groups the Left perceives as
>> victimized. According to the Left, any and all truth must take a back seat to
>> “your truth,” so long as you claim minority status in any way.
>>
>> There’s heavy irony to the fact that Victorian prudishness of manners
>> suddenly abounds on the same Left that champions wearing pussyhats and
>> shouting its abortions. But it’s that Victorian prudishness that tends to win
>> the day — or at least has, for the past several decades. Perhaps that’s
>> because many on the right tend to value manners; good religious men and women
>> studiously avoid causing offense if they have the capacity to do so. It’s
>> worked, too. The Left has wielded the Right’s preference for manners as a
>> club against the Right, claiming offense in order to cow them into silence.
>> The Left has wielded the Right’s preference for manners as a club against the
>> Right, claiming offense in order to cow them into silence.
>>
>>
>> Of late, however, the Left has simply gone too far. No longer do they ask
>> whether objectively offensive statements ought to be made; they now take
>> each statement and ask whether it is subjectively offensive to anyone. First
>> person to claim offense wins. Which is precisely why Peterson’s logic trips
>> up Newman: He plays her own card against her. By demonstrating that anyone
>> can be offended by anything, he returns the conversation from the vague
>> recesses of subjective reaction to the hard and fast ground of objective
>> truth.
>>
>> This is the ground on which conservatives should fight, of course:
>> acknowledgement that while manners matter, truth matters more.
>> Unfortunately, too many conservatives have responded to leftist censorship
>> not with truth-above-manners politeness, but with theatrical displays of
>> unconcern with manners themselves. Rudeness is now seen as a substitute for
>> facts. If the Left uses manners as a weapon, the logic goes, let’s just
>> discard manners altogether. But there’s no reason to do that. We all ought to
>> behave with decency and truth. Those are the twin pillars of conservatism,
>> after all: virtue and reason. Discarding reason undermines virtue by
>> replacing virtue with emotion-based reactivity; discarding virtue undermines
>> the social fabric necessary to undergird the effectiveness of reason. Yes,
>> let’s behave with manners. But let’s recognize that only a society that
>> values truth can afford manners.
>>
>> / Ben Shapiro is the editor in chief of the Daily Wire./
>>
>>
>> Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro: Leftist chaos is forcing people to ‘wake
>> up’ Dorothy Cummings McLean LifeSiteNews
>> https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/jordan-peterson-and-ben-shapiro-leftist-chaos-is-forcing-people-to-wake-up?utm_source
>>
>>
> <https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/jordan-peterson-and-ben-shapiro-leftist-chaos-is-forcing-people-to-wake-up?utm_source=LifeSiteNews.com&utm_campaign=775ad4a969-Daily%2520Headlines%2520-%2520World&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_12387f0e3e-775ad4a969-402364789>
>> LOS ANGELES, February 1, 2018 (LifeSiteNews <https://www.lifesitenews.com/>)
>> – Dr. Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro agreed with Dave Rubin of the Rubin
>> Report during a live interview yesterday that left-wing "Social Justice
>> Warriors" were largely responsible for their surprising rise to fame.
>>
>> Rubin of the Rubin Report was hosting Peterson of the University of Toronto
>> and Shapiro, editor-in-chief of the /Daily Wire/. Both are internationally
>> recognized intellectual mega-stars who champion free speech, reason, and
>> common sense. Rubin said that all three of them should be grateful that their
>> opponents had sharpened them intellectually, given them influence in the
>> public square, and brought them together.
>>
>> The live show, streamed over YouTube, was upbeat, with Rubin gleefully
>> predicting a huge audience.
>>
>> “We are going to crack the internet today,” he said, “because I am sitting
>> between two people who I think are really at the forefront of what I think is
>> an ideas revolution on Planet Earth.”
>>
>> It was an accurate prophecy, for the live feed cut out 6 minutes 40 seconds
>> into the show, and was restored only after a long pause. The show had over
>> 245,000 views within 20 hours.
>>
>> Rubin indicated that people are turning to both of his guests for answers in
>> the intellectual chaos that has ensued “post-Trump.” Rubin said that
>> Peterson's profile had “exploded” in recent weeks. Shapiro agreed that
>> Peterson is “the man of the hour.”
>>
>> The theme of the show was the growing fellowship, or “crew” of intellectuals
>> coming together in an “ideas revolution” against the "identity politics"
>> offered by postmodern philosophy. Reason-based thinkers like Peterson and
>> Shapiro are advocating for "meaning" based on "purpose" and "personal
>> responsibility" over grievance politics.
>>
>> “What I‘m hoping is happening,” said Peterson, “is that we’re beginning to
>> elucidate the fundamental problems of identity politics. Like the real errors
>> in it... Because I think [postmodernists] are wrong…. That the path they are
>> choosing is improper.”
>>
>> He continued, “I think we know enough now to subvert the fundamental
>> postmodern claims.”
>>
>> Among these claims is that objective truth does not exist: there are only
>> “narratives” that advance the power and well-being of one group over another.
>>
>>
>> After the guests reflected on the “flashpoints”  that had made them famous —
>> Shapiro’s televised “shellacking
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIQtxLCgrM>” of Piers Morgan, Peterson’s
>> interview
>> <https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/ha-gotcha-free-speech-hero-corners-left-wing-reporter-with-her-own-logic>
>>
>>
> with Cathy Newman, and Rubin’s discussions with Sam Harris about Islam — they
>> examined how left-wing media tries, but ultimately fails, to misrepresent
>> its ideological opponents as villains.
>>
>> Among other newsmakers the media get wrong is Google ex-staffer James Damore
>> <https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/google-punished-me-for-repeating-what-science-says-about-male-female-differ>.
>>
>>
> He was fired from Google in 2017 for circulating an internal memo he wrote
>> suggesting that there were benign reasons why gender parity does not exist
>> in technological fields. His employers were horrified by his assertion that
>> there were biological and psychological differences between women and men.
>>
>> Nevertheless, Rubin asked if they all didn’t owe Social Justice Warriors
>> thanks for forcing their opponents to come out and become part of the ideas
>> revolution
>>
>> Peterson, a Canadian, is both a professor and a clinical psychologist. He is
>> the author of the current bestseller /12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to
>> Chaos/ and an internet sensation.  Peterson’s YouTube channel, “Jordan
>> Peterson Videos,” carries over 300 of his lectures, has 702,000 subscribers,
>> and has had over 30 million views.
>>
>> A fierce opponent of totalitarianism of any kind, the 55-year-old professor
>> rose to fame last year after refusing to follow laws enforcing the use of
>> genderless pronoun preferred by transgender activists. The psychologist
>> argued that policing language is the first step towards totalitarianism.
>> Peterson was a leading critic of a Canadian bill (C-16
>> <https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/canadian-bill-opposing-transgenderism-will-put-you-in-jail>)
>>
>>
> which added “gender expression” and “gender identity” to Canada’s Human Rights
>> Code and to the hate crimes section of the Criminal Code.
>>
>> Shapiro, an American, is a lawyer, conservative journalist and author of
>> various bestselling books, including /Bullies: How the Left’s Culture of Fear
>> and Intimidation Silences America/ (2012) and /Brainwashed: How Universities
>> Indoctrinate America’s Youth/  (2004). At age 17, he became the youngest
>> nationally syndicated columnist in the USA. He is also the host of the
>> top-ranked podcast “The Ben Shapiro Show.” Shapiro is a noted defender of
>> preborn children. Numerous videos of him out-arguing abortion activists in
>> front of college audiences have gone viral on YouTube and Facebook.
>>
>> Like Peterson, a critic of the far-left stranglehold on the academy,
>> Shapiro, 34, has worked to loosen its grip through cross-country speeches and
>> debates. He is a frequent guest on college campuses throughout the USA.  He
>> has been frequently targeted for protests by the far-left, including violent
>> Antifa activists.
>>
>> The two men also have Harvard University in common: Shapiro graduated from
>> Harvard Law School in 2007, whereas Peterson did research and taught in
>> Harvard’s psychology department as an assistant professor and then an
>> associate professor from 1993 to 1998.
>>
>>
>>
>> *Endeavour Forum Inc. does not send unsolicited emails. If you wish to be
>> removed from the email list, please reply with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject
>> line. If you find it difficult to cope with daily email and would like to
>> join the Weekly List, please reply with WEEKLY LIST in the subject line. *
>>
>>
>>
>> *You are encouraged to forward these emails to your own contact lists.
>> Please use the BCC field to hide personal email addresses, and delete any
>> personal address that may appear in an email.*
>>
>>
>>
>> *If you change your email address, please let us know.*
>>
>>
>> * If you would like to receive by mail the quarterly issue of the Endeavour
>> Forum Inc. Newsletter, please email **babette at endeavourforum.org.au*
>> <mailto:babette at endeavourforum.org.au>
>>
>>
>>
>> *Donations to Endeavour Forum Inc. may be made to the Commonwealth Bank  BSB
>>   063 144 Account No. 1012 1106. Readers can also donate via a cheque sent to
>> The Editor, Endeavour Forum Inc., 79 Church St., Beaumaris, Vic. 3193. Please
>> fill in the payee slip so we can thank you!*
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________ Rushtalk mailing list
>> Rushtalk at csdco.com http://kalos.csdco.com/mailman/listinfo/rushtalk
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Rushtalk mailing list
> Rushtalk at csdco.com
> http://kalos.csdco.com/mailman/listinfo/rushtalk
>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://kalos.csdco.com/pipermail/rushtalk/attachments/20180205/34f4c798/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the Rushtalk mailing list