[Rushtalk] WTAS: Support For The Confirmation Of Secretary Of State Mike Pompeo

Carl Spitzer {C Juno} cwsiv at juno.com
Wed May 2 18:47:32 MDT 2018

April 27, 2018

WTAS: Support For The Confirmation Of Secretary Of State Mike Pompeo

Members Of Congress

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA): “As I said this morning, Mike
Pompeo is a great choice for Secretary of State, and I’m glad the Senate
has confirmed him.”

Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-TN): “Mike
Pompeo is one of the most outstanding nominees we could have for
Secretary of State. I strongly supported his confirmation today, and I
look forward to him serving our nation.”

House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce (R-CA): “From North
Korea’s nuclear threats to Iran’s aggression, Mike’s confirmation as
Secretary of State comes at a critical time for U.S. foreign policy. In
times such as these, it’s clear that we need a stronger, more vibrant
State Department to work with and lead our other national security
agencies. I’m confident Secretary Pompeo will steer the Department in
the right direction, and I look forward to partnering with him to
advance America’s interests overseas.”

Sen. Doug Jones (D-AL): “After meeting with Director Pompeo, reviewing
the record of his confirmation hearings, and speaking with others with
expertise in national security and diplomacy, I believe he has the
skills required to meet the weighty and urgent demands facing our State
Department today…. In his role at the CIA, Mr. Pompeo has demonstrated
the ability to be an effective manager and operator on the world stage.
I also believe his perspective having worked in the intelligence
community will be valuable given the national security challenges he
would face as Secretary on day one.”

Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA): “I’m pleased the Senate has confirmed Mike
Pompeo to lead the State Department, where he will have an important
opportunity to bolster U.S. diplomatic leadership, provide purposeful
direction for the department, and boost the morale of our dedicated
Foreign Service officers… Given his experiences as CIA director, Mike
Pompeo possesses critical knowledge of how to best leverage our assets
at a significant moment in history, especially as our country continues
to face threats from North Korea.”

Sen. David Perdue (R-GA): “Mike Pompeo is highly qualified and will make
our country proud as Secretary of State. Through years of service to our
country, he has gained a deep understanding of the complex threats we
face across the globe. President Trump is coming up on a critical
meeting with North Korea and will need top-notch counsel as he tackles
the challenges presented by ISIS, Iran, and our multifaceted
relationships with China and Russia. Mike Pompeo is the right man for
the job. President Trump and the American people will be well-served
with him as our chief diplomat.”

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL): “I applaud today’s Senate confirmation of
Director Mike Pompeo to be Secretary of State. Based on his experience
as CIA Director, an Army officer, a congressman, and his proven
leadership on national security matters, he is eminently qualified to
serve as our nation’s top diplomat. It is a shame that his nomination
encountered partisan headwinds at a time when the U.S. and our allies
face mounting national security threats. I look forward to working him
and I am confident that he will successfully advance U.S. interests
abroad, including the promotion of democracy, human rights, and the rule
of law.”

Sen. Todd Young (R-IN): “I am glad the Senate has voted to confirm Mike
Pompeo as Secretary of State. The Senate prioritized our national
security by filling our nation’s chief diplomat position with a highly
qualified individual to help tackle our complex international
challenges. I look forward to working with him to prioritize effective
diplomacy and the security of our country.”

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA): “In a time when we are facing serious
international challenges, from Russian meddling, to North Korean
saber-rattling, to an increasingly assertive China, it is essential that
the President have a qualified Secretary of State who he trusts on the
job. Mike Pompeo unquestionably understands the international challenges
we face and is more than capable of doing the job. When I talk to our
allies, they are anxious to see him on the job.”

Sen. Pat Roberts (R-KS): “Mike will represent American ideals and values
backed by the strength of leadership of the free world… As our nation’s
most senior diplomat, Mike will be forthright, forceful and thoughtful.
He will give the president and the Congress candid counsel. He will be a
man of his word.”

Sen. Angus King (I-ME): “By any recent standard, Mike Pompeo is
qualified by education and experience for this job. He graduated from
West Point, served his country honorably in the Army, graduated from
Harvard Law School, has business experience, and served three terms in
the U.S. House of Representatives. Most recently, and most importantly,
he has served as the Director of the CIA, a job which requires a high
level of engagement with leaders around the world on difficult and often
contentious issues and also involves managing a large, diverse, and
complex organization.”

Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS): “As the Director of the Central Intelligence
Agency, a former member of Congress, a West Point graduate at the top of
his class, and an editor of the Harvard Law Review, no one can dispute
Mike Pompeo’s qualifications to serve as our next secretary of state.
President Trump has confidence in the secretary-designate, and he
deserves a national security team he trusts to carry out his agenda.”

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO): “Mike Pompeo is eminently qualified to serve as
our nation’s top diplomat. That’s why the Senate voted to #ConfirmPompeo
as our Secretary of @StateDept.”

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK): “As America faces grave threats from around the
world, especially with the rise of China and Russia, I am confident that
Mike Pompeo is the right choice to serve as our next Secretary of State.
We share a commitment to strengthening American leadership and diplomacy
around the world so our allies can trust us and our enemies will fear us
once again.”

Sen. James Lankford (R-OK): “I’ve known Mike since 2011. He has served
our country as a US Representative from Kansas, as an officer in the
United States Army, the director of the CIA, and as a businessman. He is
a hard-working, dedicated public servant who will serve our nation well
at the U.S. Department of State.”

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC): “I’m pleased that Mike Pompeo has been
confirmed as our new Secretary of State. He is a highly qualified and
incredibly competent choice – who enjoys the President’s closest
confidence. He will be an outstanding Secretary of State at a time of
international upheaval and opportunity.”

Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC): “We need a Secretary of State with a strong,
clear vision for the United States and our role in the world. During his
time in Congress and as CIA Director, Mike Pompeo has shown he is the
man for this job. With several critical diplomatic issues currently
moving forward, from Iran to North Korea, I am confident that Mike will
provide the best possible counsel and direction for the President.”

Sen. John Thune (R-SD): “As the director of the CIA, a former member of
Congress, and graduate of West Point and Harvard Law School, Director
Pompeo is beyond qualified to serve as our nation’s top diplomat. At a
time when our country faces a wide range of global threats, I have the
utmost confidence that he will continue to help lead the United States
in the right direction.”

Sen. Mike Rounds (R-SD): “After weeks of political gamesmanship from our
Democrat colleagues, the Senate today confirmed Mike Pompeo to be Sec.
of @StateDept. He will do an excellent job as our chief diplomat at this
critical time in our nation’s history.”

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN): “Mike Pompeo is trusted by the president,
and his experience as CIA Director, Congressman, and Captain in the U.S.
Army demonstrates that he is qualified to be Secretary of State. Now
more than ever, the State Department needs a strong leader who has the
confidence of President Trump to take on the many challenges our nation
faces abroad, and Director Pompeo is the right person for this important
role.”

Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX): “The next Secretary of State will play a vital
role in the negotiations in North Korea. In fact, as we know now, Mike
Pompeo has already taken the initial steps laying the groundwork and the
foundation for what we all hope will be a successful negotiation on the
denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. So those are some of the
reasons why I strongly supported Mike Pompeo’s nomination to lead the
State Department, and I hope our colleagues will somehow find a way to
overcome this reflexive opposition to everything the President has
proposed and their hyper partisan response every time the President
proposes either a nominee or some policy provision.”

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT): “Great news for the United States and our
diplomatic efforts around the world.”

Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI): “Mike Pompeo’s distinguished track record of
service to our country was recognized today by a majority of my
colleagues. It is disappointing Senator Baldwin and so many Senate
Democrats abandoned Senate tradition and put partisan politics ahead of
supporting the confirmation of such a well-qualified individual to be
our nation’s top diplomat.”

Rep. Bradley Byrne (R-AL): “Big news! Mike Pompeo will serve our nation
tremendously well as our Secretary of State!”

Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA): “Congratulations to Mike Pompeo on his
confirmation as Secretary of State.”

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA): “Congratulations to our new Secretary of State
Mike Pompeo! I wish him and @realDonaldTrump all the best as they
address the many challenges facing our country and the world.”

Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO): “I applaud today’s Senate confirmation of Mike
Pompeo as our new Secretary of State. Having served with Mike, I have no
doubt Mike’s years of experience and strategic approach to sensitive
issues will serve America well internationally.”

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL): “Congratulations to my friend Mike Pompeo,
our new Secretary of State. Mike is a strong, diplomatic leader who will
advance our mission and our role in the international community. I’m
confident he will serve the American people, the President and our
country proudly at the U.S. Department of State.”

Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI): “Congratulations to @HouseCommerce alum Mike
Pompeo on being confirmed as America’s 70th Secretary of State!”

Rep. Steve Pearce (R-NM): “I congratulate Mike Pompeo on being confirmed
as the new Secretary of State! I look forward to his leadership in this
distinguished role.”

Rep. Lee Zeldin (R-NY): “I cannot think of anyone in our country who is
better suited for this critical position at this important moment in our
nation’s history. Secretary Pompeo was first in his class at West Point,
a great colleague in the House of Representatives, and an exceptional
CIA Director. He’s intelligent, competent, qualified, talented, and has
the potential to be one of the best Secretaries of State in our nation’s
history.”

Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC): “Congratulations to my friend, Mike Pompeo, for
being confirmed as our next Secretary of State. He is going to do great
work on behalf of the American people!”

Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN): “Congratulations to my former colleague
Mike Pompeo for clearing the Senate to be our next Secretary of State.
We know you will represent our country’s interests effectively, and
support @realDonaldTrump’s agenda to strengthen America’s presence
abroad.”

Rep. Pete Olson (R-TX): “Congratulations to my friend and former
colleague Mike Pompeo on his confirmation as Secretary of State! He
served his constituents well in Congress, the American people well at
the CIA & will serve our nation well at @StateDept!”

Advocacy & Policy Organizations

Atlantic Council Scowcroft Center Deputy Director for Strategy Matthew
Kroenig: “Now that he is confirmed, Pompeo can begin leveraging his
experience and relationships to reinvigorate the Department of State. It
is disappointing that the U.S. Senate couldn’t muster stronger
bipartisan support for such a qualified candidate. Compare his
fifty-seven to forty-two vote to the vote tallies of recent secretaries
of state: John Kerry (ninety-four to three); Hillary Clinton
(ninety-four to two); Condoleezza Rice (eighty-five to thirteen); and
Colin Powell (unanimous voice vote).”

Hudson Institute President and CEO Ken Weinstein: “Thrilled that
@HudsonInstitute friend Mike Pompeo confirmed as Secretary of State. A
dynamic and strategic leader.”

Hudson Institute Senior Fellow Rebeccah Heinrichs: “A great pick for Sec
State at the right time.”

Shared from Whitehouse.gov

http://1600daily.com/2018/04/27/wtas-support-confirmation-secretary-state-mike-pompeo/

Buckingham Confirms Unfortunate News