[Rushtalk] Liberalism on parade

Carl Spitzer cwsiv at juno.com
Fri May 18 10:21:42 MDT 2018

San Francisco’s ‘Diseased Streets’ Are Being Compared to Some of Worst
Slums in the World
By Joe Setyon
February 21, 2018 at 6:37am

Share on FacebookShare Tweet Email EmailPrint A combination of discarded
needles and piles of feces on the streets of San Francisco has caused
least one expert to say that the city’s slums are comparable to those in
developing countries.

Reporters with KNTV investigated what they referred to as the “diseased
streets” of the city, and found that each of the 153 downtown blocks
they surveyed — an area that encompasses playgrounds, hotels and
government buildings — is littered with garbage. Included in this trash
were at least 100 drug needles and 300 piles of feces.

Dr. Lee Riley, an infectious disease expert at the University of
California, Berkeley, warned that not only do the needles cause viral
diseases such as HIV and Hepatitis, but dried fecal matter can release
airborne viruses like the rotavirus.

Advertisement – story continues below

“If you happen to inhale that, it can also go into your intestine,” he
said, leading to potentially fatal results.

Riley, who has researched and written about conditions in slums across
the world, believes that some parts of San Francisco may be worse than
the world’s dirtiest slums.

DAILY

The Western Journal Daily Email

Breaking news updates and daily headlines from a news source you can
trust.

Facebook  Email

Thanks For Subscribing!

“The contamination is … much greater than communities in Brazil or Kenya
or India,” he said, while pointing out that in those countries, slums
often serve as long-term housing, and thus, their residents work to
maintain them.

But in San Francisco, he suggested that the homeless do not make an
effort to keep the streets clean because they are forced to move around
frequently.

Advertisement – story continues below

The situation on the streets of San Francisco is particularly dangerous
for children.

“We see poop, we see pee, we see needles, and we see trash,” said
Adelita Orellana, a preschool teacher. “Sometimes they ask what is it,
and that’s a conversation that’s a little difficult to have with a
2-year old, but we just let them know that those things are full of
germs, that they are dangerous, and they should never be touched.”

Do you think spending more money on the homeless will solve this issue?

Yes No  Continue with Facebook
— or —

Completing this poll entitles you to The Western Journal news updates
free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to our
Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.  You’re logged in to Facebook. Click
here to log out.

A’Nylah Reed, a 3-year-old preschooler, explained that “the floor is
dirty,” making her walk to school difficult.

“There is poop in there,” she said. “That makes me angry.” Reed’s
mother, meanwhile, noted that she often has to physically intervene to
ensure that her daughter doesn’t step on needles or human feces.

Advertisement – story continues below

Some city officials are convinced that the solution is to provide
short-term housing for the city’s homeless population.

“Unacceptable. Absolutely unacceptable,” said city Supervisor Hillary
Ronen. “We’re losing tourists. We’re losing conventions in San
Francisco. All of this is happening because we aren’t addressing the
root cause, which is we need more temporary beds for street
homelessness.”

RELATED: Tech Workers Are Relocating to Los Angeles Because Silicon
Valley Is Too Liberal

The city currently has about 2,000 temporary beds, but Rosen believes
about 1,000 more are needed, KNTV reported. This would likely cost
roughly $25 million.

“We need to find a source of revenue,” she said. “Whether that’s putting
something on the ballot to raise business taxes or taking a look at our
general fund and re-allocating money towards that purpose and taking it
away from something else in the city.”

Advertisement – story continues below

Regardless, Ronen said the situation in San Francisco is a human
“tragedy.”

“We’re not going to make a huge dent in this problem unless we deal with
some underlying major social problems and issues,” she stated. “There’s
a human tragedy happening in San Francisco.”

Until a permanent solution is decided upon, all the city can do is
remove feces and needles from the streets, an effort that cost about $30
million in the 2016-2017 fiscal year, according to Public Works
Director Mohammed Nuru.

Removing just one pile of human waste takes a half an hour, Nuru said.

Advertisement – story continues below

“The steamer has to come. He has to park the steamer. He’s got to come
out with his steamer, disinfect, steam clean, roll up and go,” he
explained.

The dirty streets in San Francisco haven’t stopped it from being ranked
among the most beautiful in the world. But the city is also one of the
most expensive in the U.S., with Fox News noting that this accentuates a
large “gap between the haves and have-nots.”

https://www.westernjournal.com/san-francisco-diseased-streets-compared-worst-slums-world/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=dailyam&utm_content=western-journal

--
----CWSIV----

     \_/

Doctors Shocked She Used This To Erase Here Wrinkles
Healthy Beautiful Body
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5aff8517117724f64f33st01duc