[Rushtalk] VIDEO: Trump Inspects Wall In California

Carl Spitzer cwsiv at juno.com
Mon May 21 09:01:51 MDT 2018

March 15, 2018

VIDEO: Trump Inspects Wall In California

San Diego, California

12:59 P.M. PDT

THE PRESIDENT: Well, thank you very much, Secretary Nielsen; Acting
Commissioner McAleenan; and the incredible Border Patrol agents, CBP
officers who are doing an amazing job; ICE agents and officers, who I
know so many of you.

Every day, criminals and tariffs try to infiltrate our country. You got
a good glimpse of it before. We did it together, with the media,
frankly. I didn’t know we were going to be doing that, but you got,
really, maybe a far better glimpse than you’re going to get right now.

But the border wall is truly our first line of defense, and it’s
probably, if you think about it, our first and last, other than the
great ICE agents and other people — moving people out. It will save
thousands and thousands of lives, save taxpayers hundreds of billions of
dollars by reducing crime, drug flow, welfare fraud, and burdens on
schools and hospitals. The wall will save hundreds of billions of
dollars — many, many times what it’s going to cost.

We must also close the deadly loopholes exploited by smugglers and
traffickers. And we’re in that area. We’re in one of the many areas
along the border where we have that problem. And we have to confront the
dangerous sanctuary cities, which you’ve been all hearing so much about.

California sanctuary policies put the entire nation at risk. They’re the
best friend of the criminal. That’s what exactly is happening. The
criminals take refuge in these sanctuary cities, and it’s very dangerous
for our police and enforcement folks.

The smugglers, the traffickers, the gang members, they’re all taking
refuge, and I think a lot of people in California understand that. A lot
of people from a lot of other places understand it, and they don’t want
sanctuary cities.

These policies release dangerous criminal offenders to prey on innocent
people and nullify the federal law. They’re threatening the security and
the safety of the people of our country. In the upcoming omnibus budget
bill, Congress must fund the border wall and prohibit grants to
sanctuary jurisdictions that threaten the security of our country and
the people of our country. We must enforce our laws and protect our
people.

And I have to say, law enforcement — ICE, Border Patrol — all of the
people that have been so good to me for so long, they’re really doing a
job. But our job — and I think we all understand the job would be a lot
easier if we weren’t protecting criminals in the sanctuary cities. We
had a great talk about it inside.

Cooperation with Mexico is another crucial element of border security.
DHS coordinates closely with the Mexican law enforcement, and we must
absolutely build on that cooperation. Both countries recognize the need
to stem the cross-border flow of illegal weapons, drugs, people, and
cash.

I have a great relationship with the President of Mexico, a wonderful
guy — Enrique. Terrific guy. We’re working — we’re trying to work things
out. We’ll see whether or not it happens. I don’t know that it’s going
to happen. He’s a very good negotiator. He loves the people of Mexico,
and he’s working very hard. We’ll see what happens.

But we have to, obviously, have a couple of disagreements before we get
there. You’ll see over the next month whether or not it takes place in
this administration, meaning his administration. They have an election
coming up. I hear they have some very good people running, and they have
some that maybe aren’t so good. In any event, we’ll handle it.

I want to again thank everyone for being here today, and I want to again
call on Congress to deliver a budget that protects our homeland and
properly funds all of our law enforcement needs. I want to thank the
Secretary. I want to thank ICE and the Border Patrol agents for their
incredible work and their incredible bravery. I want to thank all of law
enforcement on the border. It’s a dangerous job. It’s a tough job. And
if you didn’t have even these remnant walls — we call them remnant;
they’ve been here for a long time — people don’t say that. But they’ve
been here for a long time. If you didn’t have them, you would have crime
in numbers that far surpass the numbers that you see today.

We’ve cut down, and way down, on crossings — border crossings — because
of the job that the Border Patrol does. And the ones that get through,
we’ve gotten out. MS-13, we’re taking them out by the thousands. But we
don’t want them here in the first place. We don’t want them to come in.

So this was really a day where we look at the different prototypes of
the wall. You’ve seen them. The media has seen them. And some work very
well; some don’t work so well. When we build, we want to build the right
thing.

Interestingly, the ones that work the best aren’t necessarily the most
expensive — something I like about that ring.

So I want to thank everybody for being here. I want to thank, frankly,
the media for being here. And we’ll let the people of our country know
that we need safety, we need security at the border, and we’re getting
it like we’ve never had it before. But we want to make it perfecto.

Thank you all very much. And thank you. Thank you, folks, very much.
Thank you.

Secretary, you want to say something?

SECRETARY NIELSEN: Just quickly, just to thank the President so much for
his continued leadership. As he says, CBP and ICE both put their lives
on the line every day to protect our country. For that, I’m forever
grateful, both as — to serve as Secretary, but also as an American. And
we will build this wall.

So thank you for coming out today. We’re building up a toolkit based on
what we’ve learned from the research and development on the prototypes.
And we look forward to breaking ground very soon, and securing our
country.

So thank you again to the President for his continued leadership.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you very much, everybody. Thank you.

Q Will you veto a bill with no punishment for sanctuary cities?

THE PRESIDENT: We’re going to see. We’re going to look at it. We’re
looking at it very, very strongly. Sanctuary cities are protecting a
horrible group of people, in many cases — criminals. And what happened,
as an example, in Oakland was a disgrace to our nation. And we just
can’t let that happen.

Thank you very much.

END

1:05 P.M. PDT

Shared from Whitehouse.gov

--
----CWSIV----

     \_/

Good Morning America Confirms Unfortunate News
greatsuperstars.world
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5b02dfe95d24f5fc157f7st04duc