[Rushtalk] cant trust doctors anymore

Carl Spitzer {C Juno} cwsiv at juno.com
Tue May 22 13:17:13 MDT 2018

Pediatricians to lobby Congress for gun control laws

350 pediatricians will head to Capitol Hill Tuesday to lobby in favor of
gun violence legislation, including two Senate bills.

by Maggie Fox / Apr.09.2018 / 2:13 PM ET / Updated Apr.09.2018 / 3:57 PM
ET
Image: Hundreds Of Thousands Attend March For Our Lives In Washington DC
Young victims of gun violence, including students from Marjory Stoneman
Douglas High School, stand together on stage at the conclusion of the
March for Our Lives rally on March 24, 2018 in Washington.Chip
Somodevilla / Getty Images file

Dr. Ben Hoffman will never forget the three-year-old who came into the
emergency room with a gunshot wound.

“The child had shot himself in the face. It was obvious that was going
to be a deadly injury,” Hoffman recalled.

Image: Gun Violence ProtestMembers of the American Psychological
Association at the "March For Our Lives" gun violence rally held in
Washington, D.C. on March 24, 2018. Physician and other health provider
groups say gun violence and gun control are matters of public
health.Maggie Fox / NBC News

“We were trying to resuscitate him. We were trying to see if we could
get anything back.”

But the devastation that a gun can wreak on the tiny head of a toddler
is too much. The child died.

“Those are the kinds of things you can’t forget. It haunts me to this
day,” said Hoffman, who is now chair of the American Academy of
Pediatrics’ Council on Injury, Violence and Poison Prevention.

“I remember the parents in tears. I remember being in tears.”

Hoffman and 350 colleagues will bring this and other stories to Congress
Tuesday as part of a day spent lobbying in favor of gun legislation.

Related

1,300 kids killed by guns each year
They’re supporting a proposed assault weapons ban sponsored by senate
Democrats and a bipartisan Senate bill that would restrict the sale of
semiautomatic weapons to people 21 and older.

The pediatrics group has been outspoken on the issue of gun violence for
years, but Hoffman said this year may offer a special opportunity to get
federal legislation.

“This is a unique time,” Hoffman said.

“The events of the last several months, most notably the shooting at
Parkland, has helped elevate the issue and has helped spark
conversations.”

“Pediatricians will have three main messages for their federal
legislators,” the AAP said. Their requests:

      * Provide $50 million to the Centers for Disease Control and
        Prevention (CDC) for public health research into firearm safety
        and injury prevention;
      * Support a minimum purchase age of 21 for semiautomatic assault
        weapons and high-capacity magazines; and
      * Support a ban on semiautomatic assault weapons.

“This is about protecting children from the impact of gun-related
injuries,” said Hoffman, who practices at Oregon Health and Science
University​.

The AAP says pediatricians should be seen as honest brokers in the
debate over gun violence.

Related

Kids walk out of school to protest against gun violence
“We can all agree that children should never be injured by a gun. As a
pediatrician, what I care about more than anything else is making sure
that kids are safe and healthy,” Hoffman said.

The Academy urges pediatricians to ask about guns in the home.

“Ask about the presence of firearms in the home, and counsel parents who
do keep guns to store them unloaded in a locked case, with the
ammunition locked separately,” it advises its members.

“While the safest home for children is one without a gun, safe storage
practices can significantly reduce the risk of gun injury or death.”

The National Rifle Association and supporters have fought back against
these advisories, sponsoring legislation to stop pediatricians from
asking parents about guns in the home — something that really puzzles
doctors who routinely ask about other safety issues, such as using car
seats and wearing helmets while riding bikes.

“We can all agree that children should never be injured by a gun."

“We can all agree that children should never be injured by a gun."

A federal judge struck down Florida’s 2011 law that forbade doctors to
ask about guns in the home, but the NRA has promoted similar legislation
in a dozen other states, according to Everytown, a group that advocates
against firearms violence.

The NRA also opposes preventing teens from buying semi-automatic
weapons. “Legislative proposals to prevent law-abiding adults aged 18-20
years old from acquiring semi-automatic rifles would deny them access to
the most modern and effective rifles for self-defense, thus depriving
them of their constitutional rights,” it says.

Hoffman said lawmakers should sponsor research into the best ways to
prevent gun violence and gun accidents and then act on what the research
shows — whether that means limits on gun ownership, or something else.
“We are in a country where kids and guns are going to coexist,” Hoffman
said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been restricted from
performing or paying for gun violence research by federal legislation
called the Dickey Amendment, which has language that CDC scientists
interpret as meaning they had better stay away from the subject.

Hoffman says that’s a mistake. “We need to acknowledge that it is a
public health problem,” he said.

“The amazing scientists at the CDC are looking for the best available
evidence,” he added. “Their mission is to protect Americans from threats
to their health.”

Hoffman noted that an average of 74 children and teenagers under the age
of 21 are killed or severely injured by guns.

“If there were 74 kids critically ill and dying from flu every single
day, we would spring to action,” he said. The CDC has reports of 142
children who have died from influenza since October, or about 20 a month
on average.

Related

Pediatricians take on gun lobby -- very carefully
The three-year-old whose death still haunts Hoffman was killed by a
handgun kept in a parent’s bedside table. Many advocates say keeping
kids away from guns is a matter of discipline and responsibility, but
Hoffman said that’s a fallacy.

“You need to think about how kids are different from adults. Kids are
inherently curious and impulsive,” he said.

Hoffman said he does not necessarily support asking people to give up
guns. “With rights come responsibilities,” he said. “When I think back
to the toddler who died — if that gun had been stored in a locked gun
safe, that child would have been safe.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/pediatricians-lobby-congress-gun-control-laws-n864116

Drink This Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy
risingstarnewspaper.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5b0481808a44e17f37e7st04vuc