[Rushtalk] Unspending: Conservative Senators Introduce White House Rescission Bills

Carl Spitzer {C Juno} cwsiv at juno.com
Wed May 30 10:36:42 MDT 2018

      * Instagram
      * Pinterest
Press Releases

      * Press
      * Press Releases
      * Share
      * Print

Press Releases
onservative Senators Introduce White House Rescission Bills

May 25 2018
WASHINGTON – Sens. Mike Lee (R-UT), Ron Johnson (R-WI), Pat Toomey
(R-PA), Joni Ernst (R-IA), David Perdue (R-GA), John Kennedy (R-LA),
Rand Paul (R-KY), Jeff Flake (R-AZ), and Ben Sasse (R-NE) introduced the
Spending Cuts to Expired and Unnecessary Programs Act Thursday, a bill
that would formally rescind the $15 billion in unneeded spending
identified by the White House on May 8, 2018.

“Yes, a $15 billion spending reduction is a drop in the bucket compared
to a $15 trillion debt,” Sen. Lee said. “But we have to start cutting
spending somewhere. Because if we don’t, if we continue to allow federal
government spending to grow faster than the economy as a whole, at some
point economic reality will force us to do so in a much more painful
manner later.”

“Our country doesn’t have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem,”
Sen. Johnson said. “While these cuts won’t solve our debt problems – far
from it – they are an important step in the right direction by
eliminating unnecessary and excessive spending throughout the federal
government.”

“This proposal will help end the deception where Congress over funds
popular programs like CHIP only to shift the excess money to unrelated
programs when the American people aren’t looking,” Sen. Toomey said. “It
is a modest but important step in the direction of honest budgeting and
protecting taxpayers.”

“Rescinding these dollars now ensures that Congress doesn’t use them as
a budget gimmick later,” Sen. Ernst said. “This rescissions bill is a
common-sense initiative to ensure that the federal government is a
better and more effective steward of hard-working Americans’ money.”

“We are past the tipping point in this debt crisis,” said Sen. Perdue.
“Today, most of the money we spend on our military, our veterans, and
domestic discretionary programs is borrowed money. This will get worse
and it’s time for Washington to come to grips with this reality.
President Trump has—that’s why his team is proposing to cut these unused
and expired government programs. These are simple cuts, arguably the
easiest we could make, and they should be supported by every member in
Congress.”

“Washington has long been spending tax dollars like a bunch of drunken
sailors with zero regard for the debt we are loading onto future
generations. This bill is a small step but a good start towards
restoring a little fiscal sanity to the swamp,” said Sen. Kennedy.

“Unfortunately, the Senate was unable to cut one penny from every dollar
through a budget bill I proposed last week. I am hopeful they will
support cutting half a penny from every dollar through this rescissions
package,” Sen. Paul said.

The Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act 1974 empowers the
president to send a rescission message to Congress specifying the
accounts, programs, and amounts to be rescinded. The funds are then
locked down for 45 days allowing Congress to either approve, modify, or
ignore the president’s rescission request.

According to Senate rules, all rescission legislation must go to
committee where the committee then has 25 days to act before the
legislation can be discharged to the floor. By introducing this
legislation today, that 25-day window for discharge will run out before
the 45-day window for congressional action.

https://www.lee.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2018/5/conservative-senators-introduce-white-house-rescission-bills

Unbelievable German World War 2 Photo Shocks Americans
pro.naturalhealthresponse.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5b0ed3389b8bf53370339st03duc