[Rushtalk] Kavanaugh Saga Shows ‘Very Scary’ Dynamic for Men, Trump says

Carl Spitzer cwsiv at juno.com
Fri Oct 5 18:22:47 MDT 2018

Kavanaugh Saga Shows ‘Very Scary’ Dynamic for Men, Trump says

John T. Bennett
35 mins ago
Judge Brett Kavanaugh testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee in
Washington last Thursday.
White House Tells F.B.I. to Interview Anyone Necessary for Kavanaugh
Inquiry

Analysis: Kavanaugh's high school yearbook entry, annotated
President Donald Trump addresses the press before departing for Dallas,
Texas where he will make an appearance at at the National Rifle
Association convention on May 4, 2018. (Sarah Silbiger/CQ Roll Call)©
Provided by CQ Roll Call, Inc. President Donald Trump addresses the
press before departing for Dallas, Texas where he will make an
appearance at at the National Rifle Association convention on May 4,
2018. (Sarah Silbiger/CQ Roll Call)

President Donald Trump on Tuesday said the Brett Kavanaugh Supreme Court
nomination drama has exposed a “very scary time” for young men in the
United States because one accusation could ruin an otherwise “perfect”
life.

As he departed the White House for remarks to a crowd of electrical
contractors and then a fundraiser and a campaign rally in north
Mississippi, the president also endorsed Senate Majority Leader Mitch
McConnell’s intention to hold a floor vote on Kavanaugh’s
now-controversial nomination this week.

But he again signaled a desire to let the FBI conclude a quick probe
into the list of sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh. The
president also for the first time suggested that he would pull the
nomination should the inquiry show the nominee lied to the Senate
Judicary Committee .

“I don’t think he should lie to Congress. There’s been a lot of people
over the last year that have lied to Congress," Trump said. The latter
appeared to refer to testimony to congressional panels about his
campaign, Russia and related matters.

“That, to me, would be unacceptable,” the president said of his nominee.
“A lot is going to depend on what comes back from the FBI.”

Trump was asked what is his message to young men just days after
Kavanaugh and one of his accusers, Christine Blasey Ford, offered
gut-wrenching testimony about what she says was the nominee sexually
assaulting her as a house party when they were both high schoolers in
the early 1980s.

Trump has shown much more empathy for Kavanaugh than Ford, saying the
culture of the moment in America is a “scary situation where you’re
guilty until proven innocent.”

“That is a very, very difficult standard,” Trump said.

Trump has two daughters and three sons. He also has faced a number of
sexual misconduct charges, as well as weathered a political storm
created by his comments on the so-called “Access Hollywood” tape on
which he is heard bragging about grabbing women by their genitals just
because he was famous.

He also told reporters the Kavanaugh drama has been a “rallying cry” for
Republicans as the midterm elections near.

“What’s happening here has more to do than even the appointment of a
Supreme Court justice,” Trump said, adding he hopes the Senate votes
later this week to confirm Kavanaugh as the high court’s ninth justice.

The president’s comments were similar to those of his son, Donald Trump
Jr., who told the Daily Mail he was more concerned about how his sons
will be affected by the #MeToo movement than his daughters.

“Right now I would say, my sons,” he said. “When the other sides
weaponizes against men 40 years later we can bring it up and you did
something in high school that no one remembers, and it should disqualify
you from ever doing anything ever again, it diminishes the real claims.”

Sen. Mazie Hirono, a Hawaii Democrat who has gained a reputation during
Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation process as a
champion of sexual assault survivors, told CNN that the president’s
son’s comments stem from a “fear and mistrust of women.”

Get breaking news alerts and more from Roll Call on your iPhone or your
Android.

--
----CWSIV----

     \_/

Stock-Picking Legend Leaks Secret Stock, Trades Less Than $3
pro.oxfordclub.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5bb8069a2f51b6936cc9st02duc