[Rushtalk] Another Peter Jennings

Carl Spitzer {C Juno} cwsiv at juno.com
Wed Sep 5 10:29:15 MDT 2018

Canadian ‘First Man’ actor defends omitting American flag planting on
moon: Achievement ‘transcended countries and borders’

August 30, 2018
By Victor Skinner

The late Neil Armstrong’s 1969 trip to the moon may have been “one small
step for man, one giant leap for mankind,” but it was also a massive
achievement for the United States.

One of Armstrong’s first orders of business was to proudly plant the
American flag, after all.

But Ryan Gosling, the Canadian actor who plays Armstrong in “First Man,”
Hollywood’s rendition of the moon landing, told the Telegraph the magic
moment was intentionally omitted from the big screen because Armstrong’s
achievement “transcended countries and borders.”

“First Man” is getting rave reviews at the Venice Film Festival, but
critics noted the unpatriotically sanitized flick is missing something
important, and Gosling explained he worked with French-Canadian director
Damien Chazelle and the Armstrong family to decide on its key moments.

“I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement
(and) that’s how we chose to view it,” he said. “I also think Neil was
extremely humble, as were many of these astronauts, and time and time
again he deferred the focus from himself to the 400,000 people who made
the mission possible.”

“He was reminding everyone that he was just the tip of the iceberg – and
that’s not just to be humble, that’s also true,” Gosling said.

The actor admitted “I’m Canadian, so might have cognitive bias,” but he
believes Armstrong didn’t think much of patriotism.

“So I don’t think that Neil viewed himself as an American hero,” Gosling
told the Telegraph. “From my interviews with his family and people that
knew him, it was quite the opposite. And we wanted the film to reflect
Neil.”

Folks who want to reflect on what actually happened on July 20, 1969 can
watch the footage on YouTube – Armstrong and fellow astronaut Buzz
Aldrin unfurling Old Glory and planting the symbol of freedom on the
desolate surface.

Armstrong died in 2012 at the age of 82, dubbed by President Obama as
“among the greatest of American heroes – not just of his time, but of
all time,” and he discussed the deliberate decision to go with the
American flag over the United Nations flag before he passed.

“In the end it was decided by Congress that this was a United States
project. We were not going to make any territorial claim, but we were to
let people know that we were here and put up a US flag,” he said,
according to the Telegraph.

“My job was to get the flag there. I was less concerned about whether
that was the right artefact to place,” Armstrong said. “I let other,
wiser minds than mine make those kinds of decisions.”

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/canadian-first-man-actor-defends-omitting-american-flag-planting-on-moon-achievement-transcended-countries-and-borders/

Drink This Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy
Celebrity Local
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5b9004cad638e4ca0d69st03duc