[Rushtalk] Dem Lawmaker Who Had COVID: Trump Pushing Hydroxychloroquine 'Saved My Life'

Rushtalk Discussion List rushtalk at csdco.com
Sun May 10 17:48:18 MDT 2020

Dem Lawmaker Who Had COVID: Trump Pushing Hydroxychloroquine 'Saved My
Life'

×
By Jack Davis
Published April 7, 2020

President Donald Trump has repeatedly ruffled media feathers with his
push to make the drug hydroxychloroquine available to Americans
suffering from COVID-19.

In its headlines chronicling Trump’s unyielding drive to get the drug
into the hands of Americans who might need it, The New York Times has
referred to Trump’s effort to promote an “Unproven Drug” and claimed
that effort “Divides [the] Medical Community.”

Elsewhere, The Times accused Trump of “Ignoring Expert Opinion,” and
creating “fears among doctors that it could unnecessarily expose
patients to risks.”

But Democratic Michigan state Rep. Karen Whitsett, who represents parts
of Detroit, has a different story that she is bound and determined to
tell about hydroxychloroquine: “It saved my life.”

Hydroxychloroquine is designed to treat malaria.

The Food and Drug Administration, which regulates pharmaceuticals, has
issued an emergency use authorization for the drug, so that doctors can
prescribe it when a clinical trial is not feasible.

Trump has said that because the drug shows some promise — and there is
nothing else on the horizon that can be shown to do so — Americans who
are in danger of dying should be allowed the chance to take it.

During an appearance Monday on the Fox News program “The Ingraham
Angle,” Whitsett endorsed Trump’s call for Americans to have a chance at
taking the drug, citing nothing more scientific than her own journey
back from death’s door.

“I really want to say that you have to give this an opportunity,” she
said.

“For me, it saved my life. I only can go by what it is that I have gone
through and what my story is, and I can’t speak for anyone else,”
Whitsett added. “So that’s not what I’m trying to do here. I’m only
speaking for myself.”

Whitsett said she went into self-quarantine on March 12. She saw a
doctor on March 18, and was diagnosed with pneumonia and prescribed the
antibiotic drug amoxicillin.

Then on March 31, she tested positive for coronavirus. She said her
health “just plummeted” that day.

“It went from the headaches to being severe to fluid building up in my
lungs, to sweats breaking out, the cough, my breathing being labored,”
she said. “It all happened in a matter of hours.”

Whitsett then ran into bureaucracy. Democratic Michigan Gov. Gretchen
Whitmer had at first banned the use of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment
for coronavirus, but then relented.

Is Trump right to push for hydroxychloroquine to be used to treat
coronavirus?
Yes No
Completing this poll entitles you to The Western Journal news updates
free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to our
Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
You're logged in to Facebook. Click here to log out.
99% (3235 Votes)
1% (18 Votes)
“I did have a difficult time, even that day, obtaining the medication
because of an order that was put down in my state,” Whitsett said.

“And it was on that day, so you can imagine how terrified I was that I
had to really beg and plead and go through a whole lot to try to get the
medication.”

Within a “couple hours” of taking the drug, she said, her health
improved.

Whitsett said that without Trump touting hydroxychloroquine at the daily
briefings of the coronavirus task force, it could not have been an
option for her.

“If President Trump had not talked about this, would it not be something
that’s accessible for anyone to be able to get that right now,” she
said.

“He is the only person who has the power to make it a priority,” she
told the Detroit Free Press, further saying: “I do” believe Trump may
have saved her life by pushing for the drug.

During Saturday’s White House coronavirus task force briefing, Trump
made it clear that his support for the drug comes in the absence of
anything else that has shown any impact against the disease.

Trump said sick Americans with few other options should embrace the
choices they have.

“I say it: What do you have to lose? I’ll say it again: What do you have
to lose?” he said. “Take it. I really think they should take it. But
it’s their choice and it’s their doctor’s choice, or the doctors in the
hospital.”

“[I]f this drug works, it will be not a game-changer, because that’s not
a nice enough term; it will be wonderful. It’ll be so beautiful. It’ll
be a gift from heaven if it works,” Trump added.

Jack Davis is a freelance writer who joined The Western Journal in July
2015 and chronicled the campaign that saw President Donald Trump
elected. Since then, he has written extensively for The Western Journal
on the Trump administration as well as foreign policy and military
issues.

https://www.westernjournal.com/dem-lawmaker-covid-trump-pushing-hydroxychloroquine-saved-life/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=rightalertsbreaking&utm_campaign=wj-breaking&utm_content=ttp

Mike Pence Self-Isolates After Virus Gets Too Close
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5eb892f4d45ee12f41f2est03vuc1
Tribes 'Can't Fund Any Programs' After This Loss
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5eb892f52fc912f41f2est03vuc2
Sen. Schumer to the VA: What Were You Thinking?
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5eb892f5259d912f41f2est03vuc3