[Rushtalk] The Cripplegate Why I Am Voting for Trump

Carl Spitzer {C Juno} cwsiv at juno.com
Wed Nov 18 06:42:22 MST 2020

         Cripplegate Why I Am Voting for
        Trump

        Why I Am Voting for Trump

         wikipedia

        I’m voting for Trump.

        That might be a bit like nails on the chalkboard for some of my
        friends and ministerial colleagues. I would ask them to hear me
        out before dismissing my reasoning. And Christians understand
        that this is not an issue we ought to part fellowship over.

        I was raised in the bluest region of the bluest state in the
        nation. Today, I live and minister in a very blue county. This
        isn’t cultural for me.

        So, here’s why I’m voting for Trump.

        Flawed Rulers

        We could start many places, but I will start here: What if a
        candidate possesses character flaws? Do we overlook them because
        the end justifies the means? Do we compromise biblical
        principles and vote for a morally flawed candidate anyways?

        When it comes to voting, Scripture does not require Christians
        to do either of these. Is that a convenient hermeneutical escape
        hatch?

        No. Scripture teaches that things are going to be rough between
        Genesis 3 and Revelation 20. God’s people have understood
        throughout these ages that thorns and thistles will permeate
        every corner of life. When it comes to the secular state and the
        kingdom of man, we keep proper expectations. Scripture does not
        teach, for example, that if political ruler has broken a
        particular commandment, that God no longer recognizes the
        legitimacy of that government (cf. Rom. 13:1). Daniel, Nehemiah,
        and Paul knew something about that.

        Scripture does not command believers to vote for a ruler of the
        secular state in the same way they would find a local church
        pastor. There are passages expressing God’s will for political
        rulers. And there are commands for the qualifications of local
        church pastors (1 Tim. 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9). There are character
        and moral commands for every person (e.g. the Ten Commandments,
        Ex. 20:1-17). Every person alive has broken the Ten Commandments
        (Eccles. 7:20, Rom. 3:23, Jas. 2:10). Can someone serve in
        political or ecclesiastical office, having broken commandments
        notwithstanding? If not, no one ever could. However, Scripture
        mandates a pattern of observable character qualifications for
        pastors and deacons (1 Tim. 3:1-12, Titus 1:6-9). If a pastor or
        deacon does not possess the biblical qualifications, they are
        unqualified or disqualified from the office, depending on the
        circumstances. God gives the church authority to remove
        individuals who disqualify themselves (1 Tim. 5:19-20).

        What if a political ruler has broken biblical commandments,
        prior to, or while, in office? Does that disqualify them from
        serving the state? Under Israel’s old covenant theocracy, it
        often did. Today, it does not. Does that mean God is pleased if
        a ruler violates commands? Of course not. But Scripture does not
        mandate that a morally flawed ruler be removed today. Such
        things are commanded of professing Christians in the NT local
        church (Matt. 18:17), but not of the state. Nor does Scripture
        command Christians to disdain flawed rulers (1 Pet. 2:13-17).
        And neither does Scripture forbid Christians from voting for
        them.

        God’s Mandate for Government

        So, what biblical principles can God’s people use to guide them
        in voting? My basic reasoning comes down to what Scripture
        requires of government.

        Romans 13:1–Every person is to be in subjection to the governing
        authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and
        those which exist are established by God. 2 Therefore whoever
        resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who
        have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. 3 For
        rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil.
        Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and
        you will have praise from the same; 4 for it is a minister of
        God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for
        it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of
        God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
        5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only
        because of wrath, but also for conscience’ sake. 6 For because
        of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God,
        devoting themselves to this very thing.

        God requires government to restrain evil and collect taxes
        justly. If I have the privilege in my country to vote, that’s
        what will guide me in voting. Insofar as we can discern the
        policy principles of each candidate, voting is about advocating
        for the candidate who will restrain as much societal evil as
        possible (as Scripture defines evil) and collect taxes as justly
        as possible. That’s really it. God isn’t asking me to like a
        political ruler I’m voting for. He is asking me to honor them
        and be respectful (1 Pet. 2:13-17). But I don’t have to feel
        like I want to be best friends forever with a candidate in order
        to heartily vote for them. It really is just about whose
        policies will most conform to God’s purposes for the state. You
        can’t expect much more than that from fallen rulers in the
        kingdom of man. So, using that criteria, how do I get to a vote
        for Trump?

             1. Abortion

        Since the 1973 Roe vs. Wade case, about 63 million unborn
        children have been legally aborted in the United States of
        America. That’s an average of about 1.3 million each year and
        3,672 each day for the past 47 years.

        I was talking with a pro-choice friend the other day who doesn’t
        profess Christ about why abortion is a big deal for Christians.
        I explained that one reason Christians care so much about it is
        because, being regenerate by God’s grace, they have a new
        heightened sense of justice and righteousness (1 Cor. 2:16).
        Unborn children are the most helpless, defenseless image-bearers
        in the population. Therefore, it is unspeakably unjust to take
        their lives.

        I put abortion at the top of the list because taking the life of
        the most helpless, defenseless image-bearers is unquestionably
        the greatest evil as it pertains to the election. Some might
        counter, “Well, rape is a greater evil than abortion.” It
        certainly is an unspeakable evil. But neither candidate is in
        favor of legalizing rape that I know of. And the sin of pride
        isn’t either, since it doesn’t explicitly have 63 million deaths
        in its wake.

        Trump is not in favor of abortion. He is one of the more
        pro-life presidents we have had, being the first ever to speak
        at the March for Life in January of this year. At the rally, he
        said, “We are here for a very simple reason: to defend the right
        of every child, born and unborn, to fulfill their God-given
        potential,” “Together we are the voice for the voiceless,” and,
        “As the Bible tells us, each person is wonderfully made.” Some
        argue, “Yeah, but he doesn’t really believe the Bible.” Whether
        or not he does, as it pertains to voting and God’s purposes for
        the state, that perspective, which is backed by action, is one
        that far more conforms to God’s purposes for government than
        Biden/Harris.

        Does a candidate’s support of the unborn mean that they can do
        no wrong? Of course not. But it does mean that, as it pertains
        to God’s command for the state, a pro-life president stands a
        great deal for restraining this greatest of evils among us.

        Biden is unapologetically in full support of abortion. This is a
        candidate whose policies give a hearty pass to keep on with
        aborting about one million unborn children per year, without
        regard to late or early term. Biblically informed, one’s
        conscience simply cannot support that. Until Trump’s policies
        change and give a pass to murdering about one million helpless,
        defenseless people per year, I’m voting for him.

        2. Critical Race Theory and Intersectionality

        CRT/I is America’s newest religion. But it is a religion unlike
        any other. To the undiscerning eye, it poses as a set of
        principles that might be helpful to understand the unjust
        suffering of individuals of varying ethnic, socio-economic, and
        sexual background. However, CRT/I is a wretched trojan horse
        that parasitically takes over any and every ideology,
        deconstructs, and leaves an unrecognizable carcass of what once
        was in its wake.

        The purpose here is not to give an exhaustive summary of CRT/I.
        In short, it is a system which intentionally abandons all
        objectivity, logic, and reason. It is filled with, and rooted,
        in racism and partiality. Largely, it teaches that the chief sin
        among humanity relates to melanin content, socio-economic class,
        gender, and heterosexuality. Heterosexual middle-class white
        males are inherently considered the greatest perpetrators of
        society by default. Salvation in CRT/I involves being as far
        away from heterosexual middle-class whiteness and maleness as
        possible. Thus, the CRT/I gospel is a set of utterly impossible
        righteousness; whose yoke is devastating and burden is crushing.
        This is a system which propagates hate, partiality, and
        prejudice (as we have seen, ironically). CRT/I will be the most
        detrimental ideology to an equal society where human flourishing
        is promoted as much as possible in a fallen world. Christians
        will have to choose the religion of CRT/I or Christianity, but
        they may not choose both. Objectively and biblically, CRT/I is,
        therefore, a great evil; is anti-Christ and anti-gospel; has
        done, and will do, great damage to human love and flourishing,
        and therefore, must be opposed by God’s people.

        Biden and Harris embrace CRT/I ideology. Harris has openly
        praised the BLM organization, which is fundamentally CRT/I.
        Trump, however, as openly opposed it, evidenced by a recent
        executive order preventing CRT/I from use in diversity training.

        3. Marxism

        CRT/I is a fruit of Marxist ideologies. But Marxism goes further
        than CRT/I. How someone could support it after an honest look at
        history is a mystery. It’s fashionable to favor Marxism when we
        are attending elite higher education systems, sipping a seven
        dollar fufu drink, not standing in bread lines or being carted
        off by the Gulag, and able to state opinions freely without
        being hauled off to Camp 22. We can naively entertain sapling
        Marxist ideologies when we still are considered persons who have
        a bit of personhood. But make no mistake, Marxism entertained
        will not remain on the periphery. It is utterly destructive to
        any idea of personhood, much less image-bearing. Its history is
        full of cruelty and needless death. History holds up exhibits A,
        B, C, and X, Y, Z as if to scream to all humanity, “Don’t return
        to your vomit” (Prov. 26:11). It’s amazing we’re at a place
        where this is even a discussion.

        Biden/Harris have not come out and confessed openly to embracing
        Marxism and Communism. However, their policies and views are
        welcoming to it. Harris supports the BLM organization, whose
        founder and doctrine are Marxist. And, the push for greater
        governmental reach, along with cries of “healthcare” and
        “climate injustice” has implications of communistic ideologies.
        Historically and ideologically, a love for humanity and human
        flourishing cannot permit me to support such ideologies, even in
        sapling form.

        4. Emphasis on Law Enforcement and Military

        Many on the left, especially BLM, have called for a defunding of
        police. Harris recently said, “I actually believe that ‘Black
        Lives Matter’ has been the most significant agent for change
        within the criminal justice system.”  The Biden/Harris movement
        has taken a soft stance against lawlessness and rioting these
        past several months. Harris supported a fund to bail out
        imprisoned protestors. “Woe to those who call evil good, and
        good evil; who substitute darkness for light and light for
        darkness” (Isa. 5:20).

        Scripture mandates government to restrain evil by bearing the
        sword against it (Rom. 13:4, 1 Pet. 2:14). Things like local law
        enforcement and national defense/military would fall under this
        mandate. Evil, as God defines, is to be punished swiftly and
        justly. From governing authorities, no leniency is to be
        demonstrated towards those who do evil. Let’s not confuse the
        differing commands for government and individual Christians.
        Individuals may exercise mercy towards evil on a personal level
        (Matt. 5:43-47, Rom. 12:17-21), but the state is commanded to do
        otherwise. God’s requirement for the government towards evil is
        sword-bearing (Rom. 13:4). “A wise king winnows the wicked, and
        drives the threshing wheel over them” (Prov. 20:26). Governing
        rulers who take a soft stance against the punishment of
        lawlessness only fuel greater evil (Eccles. 8:11). Therefore, a
        softer stance towards evil as evidenced by the Biden/Harris
        campaign cannot be said to be loving towards a society nor
        helpful towards promoting human flourishing; quite the
        opposite.

        5. Friendliness Towards Christianity and Religious Freedom

        Neither candidate is an icon for biblical Christianity. However,
        Trump has demonstrated over the last four years a greater
        external friendliness towards Christianity and religious freedom
        than Biden/Harris. He was in favor of churches opening several
        months ago when many local leaders were not. Opposing CRT/I is
        inherently favorable to freedom of religion, including
        Christianity. Nothing Trump has done demonstrates any
        restriction of the First Amendment.

        6. The Just Collection of Taxes

        In addition to swiftly bearing the sword against evil, governing
        authorities are commanded to justly collect taxes (Rom. 13:6).
        It is an article for another time, but my opinion is that the
        Biden/Harris campaign, along with other democratic policies,
        lean towards unjust collection of taxes. Some consider them a
        form of sanctioned theft and coveting. Are Trump’s and the
        Republican’s tax policies perfect? No. But, in my opinion, they
        conform closer to righteousness than Biden/Harris.

        This is a brief rundown, and certainly more could be said in
        this discussion. And this is not a single-issue vote scenario
        for me.

        There has been a tennis match in recent days as to who’s sins
        are worse, Biden’s or Trump’s? Like the rest of us, Trump and
        Biden need the Person and finished work of Christ for right
        standing with God. Now, one might be more offended by Trump’s
        sins of pride, bragging, and reviling while in office than they
        are Biden’s flag-flying of (or openness to) abortion, CRT/I,
        Marxism, taxes, and the homosexual agenda. Taking personal
        offense may be a personal issue. But, biblically speaking,
        though personal pride, bragging, and reviling are sins, they are
        not more severe sins than, say, abortion. Let’s not confuse our
        preference or conscience with the objective standard of God’s
        word. One of the sins Biden supports, among others, has left
        about 63 million dead American babies in its wake. The same
        can’t be said for Trump.

        Why are some professing Christians adamantly against Trump?
        There are more issues to discuss than what I’ve listed above. My
        position is not infallible nor the final say. Maybe it’s a
        conscience issue for some. Or, maybe some confuse God’s purposes
        for Israel’s theocracy with NT believers living in a secular
        state. Maybe others confuse the purpose and authority we are
        delegated in the church with that of the state. But perhaps for
        others, I fear that some of my fellow professing Christians are
        presuming to be super spiritual when it comes to voting. Perhaps
        we ought to beware of a spiritual elitism that exceeds the
        requirements of God’s word in this matter. When it comes to
        voting, perhaps some of us are trying to be more biblical than
        the Bible and godlier than God. It almost smells of virtue
        signaling.

        We are not voting for a spiritual paragon. We are not voting for
        a church doctrinal statement, though we are voting in light of
        it. A vote for a political candidate is not the equivalent of
        saying, “I heartily approve of this person’s character and their
        life history.” Nor is it saying, “This president and nation are
        messianic, savior-like, and as great and lasting as the kingdom
        of God.” Jesus is the one and only Savior (John 14:6). And his
        kingdom is the one and only everlasting kingdom (Ps. 145:13).
        Instead, I believe it is simply saying, “God’s purposes for the
        state are to restrain as much external evil as possible and
        justly collect taxes. Therefore, I am voting for the candidate
        who seems to most conform to that, knowing that I am not voting
        for an icon of biblical Christianity.”

        Accordingly, perhaps my brother-in-law was on to something when
        he posed the thought experiment to me: “Who would we vote for
        during the time of Judges, Samson or the Philistines?”

        You are subscribed to email
        updates from The Cripplegate.
        To stop receiving these emails,
        you may unsubscribe now.
        Email delivery powered by Google
        Google, 1600 Amphitheatre
        Parkway, Mountain View, CA
        94043, United States

Signs Point to COVID for Weinstein
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fb52d0f370082d0d0f95st04duc1
Everyone in Ohio Going Under Curfew
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fb52d0f5a7d12d0d0f95st04duc2
Final Analysis of Pfizer's Vaccine Trials Even Better
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5fb52d0f7f3cd2d0d0f95st04duc3