[Rushtalk] Serially Doomed!

Carl Spitzer {C Juno} cwsiv at juno.com
Thu Jul 8 06:27:21 MDT 2021

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Lew Wolfgang

Hi Folks,

Farhad Manjoo writes in the NYT that Democrats have only one year
to save the planet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/30/opinion/climate-change-congress.html

Whatever.

Also:

Former Sen. John Kerry recently claimed that the world has only more
nine more years to "avert the worst consequences" of the climate crisis.

But then, in 1992, at the Rio Climate Summit, activists said the world
had only 10 years to get global warming under control.

Bill Gates said, "It's true that my carbon footprint is absurdly high.
For a long time I have felt guilty about this,"

Two years ago Price Charles proclaimed:  "I am firmly of the view that
the next 18 months will decide our ability to keep climate change to
survivable levels and to restore nature to the equilibrium we need for
our survival," he said in 2019.

But it's not his first warning of doom. In 2009, he declared the
"tipping point" would come in 100 months, a little more than eight
years. He then extended the deadline in 2015, noted Climate Depot.

The United Nations issued such warnings in 1982, and it declared a
"10-year tipping point" in 1989.

Elizabeth May of the Canadian Green Party said in 2009, "We have hours"
to prevent disaster.

And then-U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown claimed that year there were
only 50 days left to "save world."

Also in 2009, NASA's James Hansen declared President Obama only "has
four years to save Earth."

In 1982, U.N. official Mostafa Tolba said "within a couple decades" it
would happen.

Just at the beginning of the last Congress, newcomer Rep. Alexandria
Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., made the wild claim that unless global warming is
addressed, the world has only 12 years left.

"As early as 1864 George Perkins Marsh, sometimes said to be the father
of American ecology, warned that the earth was 'fast becoming an unfit
home for its 'noblest inhabitant,'' and that unless men changed their
ways it would be reduced 'to such a condition of impoverished
productiveness, of shattered surface, of climatic excess, as to threaten
the depravation, barbarism, and perhaps even extinction of the species.'"

British scientist Philip Stott saying the earth "has been given a
10-year survival warning regularly for the last 50 or so years. We have
been serially doomed."

NASA warned Barack Obama in 2009 that he "had four years to save the world."

Former Vice President Al Gore said in 2006 the world had just 12 years.

Former Colorado Sen. Tim Wirth, a Democrat, said 2012 was Obama's "last
window of opportunity" to get it right.

Others have pushed the tipping out further into the future. "Michael
Mann weighed in with his 2036 Mayan calendar type deadline. … Other
global warming activists chose 2047 as the key date. … Finding no date
agreement, 20 governments chose 2030 as the scary deadline," the report
noted.

Reuters said more than 100 million people "will die and global economic
growth will be cut by 3.2 percent of GDP by 2030 if the world fails to
tackle climate change, a report commissioned by 20 governments said."

What are we to do!

Regards,
Lew

Amid COVID Surge, Tokyo Olympics Face Hard Choices
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/60e6ef3943bae6f381bb3st01duc1
Man Seeking Stash of 'Nazi Gold' Killed 4 Relatives
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/60e6ef39672896f381bb3st01duc2
Publicist: Bill Cosby Has Plans
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/60e6ef398a6946f381bb3st01duc3