[Rushtalk] FAUCI STEPPING DOWN IN DECEMBER 2022]

Carl Spitzer {C Juno} cwsiv at juno.com
Mon Aug 29 09:16:49 MDT 2022

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Sherry Swiney

For numerous reasons, I hope the next generation of scientific leaders
turn a blind eye to Fauci's mentoring.

News & EventsNewsroomNews Releases

Statement by Anthony S. Fauci, M.D.

August 22, 2022

I am announcing today that I will be stepping down from the positions of
Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
(NIAID) and Chief of the NIAID Laboratory of Immunoregulation, as well
as the position of Chief Medical Advisor to President Joe Biden. I will
be leaving these positions in December of this year to pursue the next
chapter of my career.

It has been the honor of a lifetime to have led the NIAID, an
extraordinary institution, for so many years and through so many
scientific and public health challenges. I am very proud of our many
accomplishments. I have worked with – and learned from – countless
talented and dedicated people in my own laboratory, at NIAID, at NIH and
beyond. To them I express my abiding respect and gratitude.

Over the past 38 years as NIAID Director, I have had the enormous
privilege of serving under and advising seven Presidents of the United
States, beginning with President Ronald Reagan, on newly emerging and
re-emerging infectious disease threats including HIV/AIDS, West Nile
virus, the anthrax attacks, pandemic influenza, various bird influenza
threats, Ebola and Zika, among others, and, of course, most recently the
COVID-19 pandemic. I am particularly proud to have served as the Chief
Medical Advisor to President Joe Biden since the very first day of his
administration.

While I am moving on from my current positions, I am not retiring. After
more than 50 years of government service, I plan to pursue the next
phase of my career while I still have so much energy and passion for my
field. I want to use what I have learned as NIAID Director to continue
to advance science and public health and to inspire and mentor the next
generation of scientific leaders as they help prepare the world to face
future infectious disease threats.

Over the coming months, I will continue to put my full effort, passion
and commitment into my current responsibilities, as well as help prepare
the Institute for a leadership transition. NIH is served by some of the
most talented scientists in the world, and I have no doubt that I am
leaving this work in very capable hands.

Thanks to the power of science and investments in research and
innovation, the world has been able to fight deadly diseases and help
save lives around the globe. I am proud to have been part of this
important work and look forward to helping to continue to do so in the
future.

Contact

Submit a Media Request

Contact the NIAID News & Science Writing Branch.

301-402-1663
niaidnews at niaid.nih.gov
All Media Contacts

Content last reviewed on August 22, 2022

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/statement-anthony-s-fauci-md