[Rushtalk] Batteries are only a storage device! (They are eviroromentally a disaster)

Stephen Frye stephen.frye at outlook.com
Mon Mar 14 15:47:07 MDT 2022

I can’t because …

There are indeed serious issues examine and solve before making the knee-jerk jump to electric.  What I don’t understand is digging in our heels and sticking our fingers in our ears.  This is going to happen.  As fast as Biden’s green team wants it?  No.  But to me this exactly fits into the oft heard paradigm “if the solution isn’t 100%. The we shouldn’t do anything.”  This planet will run out of oil.  When?  I doubt anybody knows.  I doubt anybody really wants to know.  It’s like knowing when we are going to die.  I agree that having electric forced on us causes immediate and harsh push back.  Especially when it comes to oil.  Oil is viewed by many as life blood.  I remember when I was really young I asked my dad if we would run out of gas.  His answer: not in our lifetime.  Such a typical response.  We preach against the growing debt being kicked down the road, but we live and breathe kicking oil down the road - “ain’t my problem.”  Again, I am not suggesting some quantum leap into electric.  That will backfire.  But I can’t condone “I don’t wanna “ either.  I agree; right now there seems to be plenty.  But we will run out.   Why in the world would we sit back and ignore that reality when we have the opportunity to aggressively prepare?  At the end of the day, like so much else, our politics too often drive our thinking.